Author Topic: fusses as soon as swaddled  (Read 1516 times)

Offline babymou

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 28, 2005, 15:41:13 pm »
My baby girl is 11 weeks old and we have been on easy for maybe about 6 weeks. My question is when we do our wind down ritual, I swaddle her and sit with her, but as soon as i do that she starts fussing and crying. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes for her to get drowsy, and thats when i put her down. I pat her bum and shhh and sometimes rock her too. I really monitor her sleepy cues so I know she is tired, I have even tried putting her down sooner and she still does the same thing. Should I continue swaddling....and does PU/PD sound like a solution also when she starts crying? Or can it just be I have grumpy baby on my hands.

stasztk

fusses as soon as swaddled
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 17:20:39 pm »
I still think swaddling is a good idea. She is just protesting. If you set her free she is likely to wap herself silly and she'll never sleep. As soon as she has a lot more control over her arms you can set her free if she sleeps better that way.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 15:42:35 pm »
My baby is 10 weeks old and she too has started to really cry when she is swaddled.  She cries so much she can't fall asleep and struggles the whole time she is crying to get her arms out.  I've started leaving one arm out and she seems to be okay with that.  She's never been a good napper but I think maybe the one hand out is allowing her to self soothe, she still lets me swaddle her at night because she is so tired.  She always wakes up with both hands out so I'm wondering if it's better to let her have one out.  Am I fooling myself or does she just need some freedom?

Offline bellerby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 17:14:02 pm »
I join the chorus... My dd is 10 1/2 weeks old... Same thing. Hopefully someone out there can help!

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 17:28:05 pm »
Okay - don't know if I am any help, but Caeden is about 16 weeks old and I am still swaddling him. We tried not for a while, but he just doesn't sleep as good. He also protests when I wrap him up, he knows it is time to sleep and though he may be very tired he still cries!
I am continued to do it and tell myself even when he cries for a little while (anywhere from 2-10 minutes now) it is for his best cause he sleeps better and longer when swaddled and at night it is getting colder and it keeps his hands warm too.
He has always cried a bit before going to sleep, swaddled or not - I think it is just his way of winding down and putting himself to sleep. And I think he cries a shorter time when swaddle versus not, haven't fully tested this theory though!
For what it is worth - usually if he gets one hand out while upset I will let it stay out till he is asleep or almost asleep and then re-wrap him up. No fuss or little at this point. Though it doesn't work as well if I wait to wrap him till he is asleep, like I said, I think he settles quicker overall wrapped.....
Anyway - don't know if that helps at all, just my experiences here! I am only a couple weeks ahead of you all!
I would though keep wrapping them, more then likely they really do still need it and will "learn" that this is how we go to sleep and not "wap themselves silly" as one gal said!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 18:23:37 pm »
My daughter has always done the same thing but if she is out she won't settle so I ignore her protesting  :shock:
Abigail born May 26, 2005