Author Topic: How do I set a morning wake up time  (Read 1198 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
How do I set a morning wake up time
« on: September 28, 2005, 19:58:16 pm »
My daughter wakes sometimes between 5 and 5:30am.  That is way too early for me, so I usually try and go in and give her the pacifier before she wakes up fully.  Lately she will settle back down, but not for a specific amount of time.  Sometimes she'll go back to sleep for an hour, sometimes half an hour and sometimes not at all.  I really wish she would wake up fully at a given time, even if it is that early so then I know when to start her day.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to do this?  BTW, she goes to sleep around 7pm, and eats once in the night plus DF.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 22:37:53 pm »
She is still quite young & I found my ds#1 changed his until about 6mo & ds#2 is the same. Just be consistent about "not starting the day" until the time you want the day to start, ie feeds before that time are night feeds & re-settling & it should get there in time. Also make sure that your lo's bed time is not more than 11 (maybe 11.5, for some babies) hours earlier than the time you want to start the day.
As she gets a bit older, you may find you need to tweek the day naps to keep it that way... sleep is always a changing thing with babies so be consistent & that should help
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 00:08:56 am »
OK, so what you are saying is if I want to start the day at 7pm, I shouldn't but her to bed before 7:30pm?  Because now we've been putting her to bed sometimes as early as 6:30pm because she is really battling afternoon naps.  But if she does take a good nap, we do manage usually between 7 and 7:30pm.  So far, she always seems to start waking up in the 5am hour, and usually the paci will keep her content till the 6:00 hour.  I really just wish she'd go to sleep and stay that way for an extended period of time.  Her longest sleep last night was from her bedtime of 7:30pm (we actually couldn't put her down earlier because we were traveling) and 1am when she woke to eat.  Then down till 4am when she woke because she kicked out of her swaddle.  I resisted feeding her and just reswaddled her and held her.  She actually got mad I think that i wasn't going to feed her back to sleep, but did settle.  Then 5:30am, paci in asleep till 6:30am.  Wasn't sure if she was ready to wake up but I picked her up and she drifted back to sleep.  Put her down a few minutes later and up for the day at 7:30am.  But it is sooooo inconsistent because of all the other wake ups.  I am a month or so away from 6moths, but I hope it's the turning point.