Author Topic: I can't get my baby to nap or sleep long at night  (Read 1424 times)

Offline jsmith328

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I can't get my baby to nap or sleep long at night
« on: September 28, 2005, 20:18:40 pm »
I need some tips about what to do with a 6 week old who won't nap more than 45 minutes if I can get him down for a nap at all. At night he sleeps for 4 hoursd then wakes up to feed and will only go down for another hour or so before he wakes up and wiggles around like he's got gas. I try to help get the gas out by patting and he just falls alseep for 5minutes and wiggles around again. This contiues for 2 hours until he's ready to feed. I know I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated as I am exhausted

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
I can't get my baby to nap or sleep long at night
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 20:48:36 pm »
Hello.  Have you tried giving him Mylicon infant gas drops?  That may help.  I also recommend swaddling him if you do not already.  THere are 5 S's that are supposed to help calm a crying baby.

swaddle
side or stomach holding or lying
shh loudly
swinging
sucking on a paci

Here is a link I found about a book but it lists these and tells a little about it.

http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/book_chapters.htm

I would not worry too much at this age about accidental parenting, your baby is still so young and adjusting to being in the outside world.  Try these methods and see if that helps.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th