Author Topic: not getting a full feed when using a breast pump  (Read 899 times)

Offline jsmith328

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
not getting a full feed when using a breast pump
« on: September 28, 2005, 20:37:55 pm »
I started using a breast pump a couple of weeks ago to so I could feed baby from the bottle when I was in public. At first I was able to pump a full 3 or 4 oz. in between feeding him. The past week or so When I pump I can only get 2 oz in between feedings. I have tried drinking more water, looking at a picture of my baby to help with letdown but these don't seem to be working. Any other suggestions?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
not getting a full feed when using a breast pump
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 22:50:33 pm »
Pumps aren't as efficient at emptying your breast as a baby and your milk supply tends to stabilize to what it's used to after a while.  How old is your lo? Are you pumping first thing in the morning when your supply is highest? It's also possible that your lo is going through a growth spurt and is draining your supply a bit more.

You might need to pump more often to increase your supply at that time of day if you plan to keep pumping - also, it's better to keep doing it regularly so your breasts get used to producing that extra.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha