Author Topic: Domperidone ~ How long??  (Read 1060 times)

Offline babymurr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Domperidone ~ How long??
« on: September 28, 2005, 21:42:26 pm »
How long before I will see a difference with the domperidone?  I started today and am taking 2 pills/ 4x's a day.  I am still doing the herbs as well.
:D
angie

Mommy to Branden  16/12/01
and Grace 04/07/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Domperidone ~ How long??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 22:47:42 pm »
This is from Kellymom.com:

Generally, we now start domperidone at 30 mg (three 10 mg tablets) 3 times a day. In some situations we go as high as 40 mg 4 times a day. Printouts from the pharmacy often suggest taking domperidone 30 minutes before eating, but that is because of its use for digestive intolerance. You can take the domperidone about every 8 hours, when it is convenient (there is no need to wake up to keep to an 8 hour schedule—it does not make any difference). Most mothers take the domperidone for 3 to 8 weeks, but sometimes it is needed longer than that, and sometimes it is impossible for mothers to maintain their milk supply without staying on domperidone. Mothers who are nursing adopted babies may have to take the drug much longer. People taking domperidone for stomach disorders are often taking it for many years.

After starting domperidone, it may take three or four days before you notice any effect, though sometimes mothers notice an effect within 24 hours. It appears to take two to three weeks to get a maximum effect, but some mothers have noted effects only after 4 or more weeks. It is reasonable to give domperidone a trial of at least four, and better, six weeks before saying it doesn’t work.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline babymurr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Domperidone ~ How long??
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 00:06:00 am »
thanks!
:D
angie

Mommy to Branden  16/12/01
and Grace 04/07/05

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
Domperidone ~ How long??
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 02:55:08 am »
I had no milk to begin with and took 4 pills 4 times a day. I had full milk by week 4 and by week 9 or 10, had wean off them completely.

Good luck.
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada