Author Topic: 16 month old... suddenly afraid of crib?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline gretchensmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
16 month old... suddenly afraid of crib?
« on: September 28, 2005, 23:52:37 pm »
My dd, had been a wondeful sleeper since she was 3 months old, now all of a sudden, she throws a screaming fit if I try to put her down for a nap or at bedtime in her crib...it started 2 weeks ago when i went to put her in her crib for her morning nap..she started hysterically crying so I pulled her out, because it was so unusual fro her...before this her routine was to wake around 7 am, go down for her first nap about 10 for about 1.5 hr, then get up and take another nap around 2:30 for another 1.5 hr. and go to bed around 7:30 pm and be down for the night...there would be the normal 10-15 min. of settling in type of crying, but nothing like what she has been doing now...

She never fell out of her crib, I don't think its teeth, cause she's fine when I pull her out..I feel like we've tried everything, we've tried letting her cry, we've tried going in every half hr to reassure her without picking her up, we've pulled her into our bed a few times when it got to be that she had been crying for 4 hrs without letting up,..for about a week now either my dh or I have been lying on a mattress in her room until she falls asleep, but she's been waking in the middle of the night and one of us has to go back in there with her..at this point I think she is still too little for her toddler bed,  so I've been thinking about letting her sleep on her mattress until she is ready for the toddler bed, if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear from you...thank you..

Kristin

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
16 month old... suddenly afraid of crib?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 16:35:24 pm »
Hi Kristin!

It might be separation anxiety so, what you're doing (laying next to hear instead of taking her to your bed) is the advice recommended.

Also I'm thinking that she might be ready for one nap a day. Why don't you try extending her awake time 15 mins each day to put her down for her nap. Maybe that's what she was trying to tell you the first day she fought her nap: I'm not tired enough to go to sleep yet? and night wakings might be caused due to the exahustion she gets during the day for the lack of sleep/fighting naps?

Just a thought. For us, every time ds fought naps it was due to him needing his awake time extended. In a couple of days of tweaking, he was back on track.

Good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake