Author Topic: First morning nap  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
First morning nap
« on: September 29, 2005, 12:30:41 pm »
Hi -

My 4 month old dd sleeps well at night (10-12 hours) but always seems to want to take a nap after 45 minutes to an hour of awake time first thing in the morning.  For example, this morning she woke at 6:45 and she was showing sleepy signs by 7:30 if not earlier.  I put her down but don't know how to do EASY for the rest of the morning.  And I don't know if I should try and extend this nap or if I should just let her do her normal  :evil:  45 minute nap.  Any input would be appreciated!!!  Thanks!

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
First morning nap
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 21:05:03 pm »
This is common for 4 month olds-- between 3-4 months, the short napping of 45 mins. tends to appear (sometimes sooner).

First, take a look at her behaviour, does the 45 min. seem to be affecting her? 

A lot of times, a change in routine is needed, looking at lengthening the awake time (gradually), helping her fall asleep independently.

By 6 months of age, most 45 min. nappers have extended their naps It takes time and maturity.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline kendra's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
First morning nap
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 04:03:22 am »
My 4 month old does something similiar.  She generally sleeps right through from around 8-9 pm till I wake her at 7:30 am.  She feeds about 25-30 minutes and then almost 30 minutes after that she starts to show signs of tiredness (occ. yawn).  I have managed to extend her wake time past 9 am (when she looks like she can sleep) to 9:30 am by placing her in a sling and then doing some low-keyed errands about the house.  She only sleeps 45 minutes but it leaves me with less time to fill up before her next feed.  I really like to extend that activity to the full 2 hours but right now I am working on getting it to 9:45 am.  Basically my babe has become a 45 minute napper but generally wakes from the naps happy and sleeps so excellent at night that I have come to accept it as her way.  Hopefully as she matures she will regain those long-napping skills.  Good luck!!
Kendra Wyonna
Born June 2, 2005