Author Topic: When Started TV/Baby Einstein?  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
When Started TV/Baby Einstein?
« on: September 29, 2005, 16:05:10 pm »
Just wondering when most of you started or think it's OK to start limited TV watching (10-15 minutes) of either something like Baby Einstein or Sesame Street. My Marisa is 7 weeks old and can usually stay up for one hour (including 20 minutes feed time) before getting sleepy - then takes about 10-15 minutes to fall asleep. I'd classify her as Textbook/Spirited

Thanks!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 16:20:27 pm »
I allowed Arwyn to watch them from when she was about 3 months. We rarely use them, only if she needs to be occupied when both of us are busy or when I am at my wit's end. Then she watches an episode while I do what I need to do. We watch maybe 1 or 2 per week
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 23:12:23 pm »
OH, I'm raising an addict.  It all started when she was 3 months old, and diagnosed with torticollis.  She was only able to turn her head to the left.  So we started physical therapy, and had to do a stretch where we turned her head all theway to the right.  i could not get her to do this without crying until I discovered, yes, Baby Einstein.  It's amazing how mesmerizing they are.  Now, she's great at turning her head, LOL!  But loves TV

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 00:55:17 am »
Well my dd is kind of watching them because her big brother is, he only gets the TV (Baby Einstein DVD's, nursery rhyme's etc) for an hour before dinner and sometimes I'll pop her in the same room as him, other times I don't.

Offline mamababs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 22:29:03 pm »
replaced

Offline georgia's mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 00:08:13 am »
well...we let our lo watch a baby eisnstein movie to calm her and just for pure stimulation or enjoyment...she loves them and has actually began using words while pointing at the screen and yes...we will sit down and watch them with her.  sometimes she needs to just veg out and have some time to herself and other times it will safely occupy her in her playpen (along with other toys) while we take a 15 minute shower.  it doesn't replace any quality time we spend with her or any reading/skill building opportunities.  it is to your discretion as long as you edit what they watch and how often you have the television on.  it's really up to you and dh.

ps. baby macdonald/baby neptune are georgia's favourites and as they get older, shows like dora, blues clues and berenstein bears can help reinforce healthy lifestyle choices.
loving my baby girl

Offline cora n henry's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 00:31:10 am »
Personally, I have no problem with television when used age/temperment appropriately.  As your lo is so young and slightly spirited, you may want to forgo the tv until later. 

We started at 6 months with Baby Einstein.  She really seemed to enjoy it.  I didn't like to play it any longer than she seemed intereseted and a cap at one run through.  I try to limit tv time to a half hour at most per day if not less.  (Not for me though.. I'm an addict and after Cora goes to bed, the tv stays on until I go to sleep.... but hey... I'm a grown up... My mind can rot, right, Roald?)
Elisabeth

Cora Elisabeth 07/08/03
Henry Peter 12/08/05

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 01:00:02 am »
I also do not have a problem with the tv provided they do not sit in front of it all the time, and are watching only age appropriate stuff.  We first tried out the baby einstein dvd probably around 4 or 5 months old, and he loved it.  It's about 30 minutes long, and that's the only thing we let him watch.  I try to control it to maybe once every other day or so.  We have baby mozart and beethoven, both of which he loves.  We also have a baby macdonald, but it's still a little bit old for him (says 9 mos. on the cover).