Author Topic: Sssh pat / dummy (pacifier)  (Read 3732 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Sssh pat / dummy (pacifier)
« on: September 29, 2005, 19:19:52 pm »
My little boy is 3 and a half weeks old and I've been following EASY as best as I can since the start, although it's only really started to feel like it's coming together in the last week or so!  I've followed Tracey's advice re dummies (that's what we call pacifiers in the UK!), in that babies under 3 months need to suckle and I've been using one to calm him down for a sleep or when he wakes up early from a sleep.  However, I'm worried that I'm starting to use the dummy as a prop - I never use Sssh pat because as soon as Zander has the dummy he's calm and when he wakes up I put the dummy back in and he'll go back to sleep.  I've just attempted to get him to go back to sleep using Sssh pat (made extremely difficult by the fact that he sleeps in a baby hammock where there's not much room and it's difficult to get him on his side and lean in the hammock - I also feel I need to lie him on his back again once he's settled).  I used the method 3 times and each time he woke up again so in the end I gave him the dummy as usual.  I guess my question is to what extent I should use the dummy or should I try and lose it altogether and stick to sssh pat - but what about his need to suckle?!

From a confused new mummy!

Kelly
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 00:46:24 am »
hi Kelly,

shh/pat is a large investment of time - but so worth it.  if you are unsure about the specifics here is a link you can read:

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/pat-shush-for-babies-under-3-months-old-vt26672.html

there are also some instructions in tracy's sleep interview:
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/a-special-sleep-interview-with-tracy-hogg-vt451.html

now, about the pacifier.... it is true that some (lots) babies need to suck & expel that energy.  it becomes misused when you keep jamming it back in after they are done sucking & spit it out.  (spoken from one who learned that the hard way!  :wink: )  if you are having to use it to get him to go back to sleep mid-nap, i'd say that you are well on your way to prop-ville.  that is when doing shh/pat will be more effective. 

HTH a little!  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 15:03:01 pm »
Thanks Jaime

I agree that the dummy is becoming a prop - I think I just needed somebody else to say it!  Most people I've asked say if it helps to calm Zander and give me some peace then I shouldn't take it away - I'm thinking a few months into the future though and I'd rather teach him good habits now.  I've found the Baby Whisperer book's advice re giving dummies to babies under 3 months confusing so will try without most of the time and only use it when Zander really needs help to calm down for his sleep or when he's got bad wind as the sucking seems to help.

Zander went down for his nap today without his dummy, using sush pat and has been asleep for a good 1.5-2 hours now so it did the trick!  I waited with him until he was properly settled with my hand on his back as I wanted to be able to turn him on his back rather than leave him on his side - luckily it didn't wake him!

Anyhow - thanks again :P
Kelly
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)