Author Topic: First DS textbook--9 wk DS touchy. sleep questions!!  (Read 986 times)

Offline Charlie's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
First DS textbook--9 wk DS touchy. sleep questions!!
« on: September 29, 2005, 20:07:10 pm »
We have used EASY from birth for both our sons.  My first was textbook and very easy to read.  My second DS is almost 10 weeks old, and touchy through and through  :) .  He weighs in at nearly 15 lbs and is exclusively bf.  He is on a 3 hour EASY schedule and is doing great except that he wakes every 2.5-3 hours at night.  We cluster feed in the evening, and one DF at 11pm but he then wakes every 2-3 hours.  He takes great naps, falls asleep fairly well on his own (sometimes needs a little pat-shh).  I am wondering:
1. does he still need these frequent feedings?
2. is he waking out of habit?
3. or does he need the breast to fall back to sleep at night?
I have been trying to wait patiently for any kind of sleep stretch (even 4 hours would be GREAT) but maybe need a little guidance.  Our first slept 8 hour stretches by 6 weeks so we didn't have to read too much into anything.  Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jeri
Charlie 8/16/03 textbook/refluxer
Sawyer 7/24/05 touchy/refluxer

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 02:26:01 am »
Have you tried messing with the timing of the dream feed or skipping it alltogether? I found with my ds that he slept very heavy for the first stretch and the df woke him up too much, he would frequent night wake.

My other idea is with nursing, are you doing one or two sides? Is he getting enough calories during the day to get him through the night?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Charlie's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 16:02:11 pm »
It's interesting that you ask about nursing on one side or two.  I just switched to one-side per feed because A. he has reflux and if he gets too much at one time, it ALL comes back up (or at least looks that way!!) and B. he is gaining quite a bit of weight (he is 15 lbs at 9 weeks) and my pediatrician suggested one-sided feeds to see if he would be more comfortable after feeds if he didn't get so much all at once.   Since switching to one-side feeds he seems to be keeping the milk down better and isn't as fussy.  I was concerned he wasn't getting enough during the day so I have made sure he doesn't go longer than a 3-hour cycle without eating. The cluster feeds are a bit difficult at night because he isn't awake long enough to squeeze them both in (or he will spit it all back up).  I might try skipping the df tonight to see if he does any better.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks~
Jeri
Charlie 8/16/03 textbook/refluxer
Sawyer 7/24/05 touchy/refluxer