Author Topic: cluster feeding at 15 weeks  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Sean's mam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 29, 2005, 20:56:33 pm »
Our 15 week old Sean has recently moved to a four hour routine, eating at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 6.30 with a dream feed at 11pm.  He takes between 5 and 7 ounces at each feed. 

He's still waking between 3 and 4 am from hunger, I don't think it's habitual waking as the time varies and he takes a full bottle.  So it looks like he needs to eat more during the day to get him through the night.  I've tried increasing the amount he takes at each feed but he knows when he's full and just stops eating after 5 or 7 ounces. 

I was considering reintroducing a cluster feed, ie feeding him at 2.30pm, 6pm and 8pm however I  know it says in the book to discontinue cluster feeding after 8 weeks and as he's great at sleeping between 7 and 11pm I'm reluctant to change his schedule in case it affects his sleep pattern, any thoughts.

Diego's Mama

cluster feeding at 15 weeks
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 20:28:10 pm »
I would probably try the cluster feeding in the evenings until he begins solids since he's full during the day.  You can slowly decrease the number of ounces he has in that evening bottle over time, but you need to add them to the daytime.

:)

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
cluster feeding at 15 weeks
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 13:38:28 pm »
Hi

Just to second what Laura said. I'd add the cluster feeding in so you know you're getting the ozs into him which will hopefully let him go through the night without waking (although you might get him waking out of habit for a few nights, in which case try to settle him without feeding). Then you can reduce the cluster feeds when he's taking more in the day.

let us know how you get on.

love
Marie

Offline Sean's mam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 17:46:03 pm »
Thanks for the tips, I cluster fed for the last week and at this stage he's going through the night. I'm now reducing the cluster feeds so he's back to a four hour routine.

thanks for the input.

Adrienne