Author Topic: Holding Their Own Bottle  (Read 1674 times)

Offline thbriggs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 29, 2005, 22:59:23 pm »
I have a 9 month old who will now and then hold her own 4 oz. bottle, any suggestions on how to encourage her to give herself a larger bottle and more often?  At what point should we expect them to begin doing this?  I am trying to switch my daughters routine from an AESY to EASY and I think that this might be a key to the success of the plan!

Tiffany

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Holding Their Own Bottle
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 23:12:10 pm »
In all honesty I would keep holding it for her, I read somewhere the mother child interaction is part of building strong relationships & that holding bottle fed babies was important at the seperation anxiety stage (often around 9mo)
Also I think if you feed her it will actually be easier to get her on EASY, as you can stop & stimulate her as she drifts off. If she feeds herself you would be tempted to leave her & she could drift off
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline momtocheyenne&toby

• Showing Appreciation 19
Holding Their Own Bottle
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 23:44:30 pm »
I loved when Toby began feeding himself...I think around 4-5 months..others start much earlier I've been told...but he was bf'd and bottle fed till 6 mos. Cheye was only bf'd so I didn't get to experience the joys of this!  He hates to be held when being fed..can't blame him for that.  I just kept giving it to him and he got the hang of it.  As far as I'm concerned it's the greatest thing ever!
Cheyenne Summer 6-18-02
Toby James 12-17-04

Offline thbriggs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:51:08 am »
I'm not ready to give up holding her for bottles altogether, but I think I sometimes provide too much comfort which is why she drifts off.  I'm aiming to start giving her an 8oz. feed when she wakes up.  She's never really wanted to eat upon waking and this has made instiuting EASY a bit difficult as we start off the day off kilter.  Initially we didn't worry about it as she was extremely small due to pregnancy complications and all we cared about was that she gain weight.  Now that she's caught up with her peers this is no longer a concern.  Changing her feeding schedule to avoid her falling asleep with a prop is going to be a hell of a battle.  I'll keep you posted!

Tiffany

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Holding Their Own Bottle
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 10:46:36 am »
Ive got a quick one here Katies 14 months and WILL NOT hold her own bottle is that normal ( She holds her own sippee cup with water)

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
Holding Their Own Bottle
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 14:23:19 pm »
KTmum,

Adrian doesn't hold his bottle either. He'll do it once in a long time, but holding bottle is my job. He takes and drinks from sippy cup, cup with a straw and regular cup on his own, but not the bottle. :)

So, I don't think it's a problem. I figure, he'll stop using the bottle soon, so it's not a big deal, as long as he drinks on his own in the high chair.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Holding Their Own Bottle
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 15:07:38 pm »
Whew!!!  Makes me feel better, Zoe doesn't hold her own either  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Holding Their Own Bottle
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 18:51:51 pm »
Sandra thanks for that - Blimy i didnt realize that Adrian was so close in age to katie only 6 days in it  :D