Author Topic: milk protein allergy??  (Read 1071 times)

Offline owensmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
milk protein allergy??
« on: September 29, 2005, 23:20:17 pm »
Yesterday my husband noticed a little blood (mucus like) in our 3.5 month old son's diaper. Since then there has been a little blood in all his dirty diapers. I brought my son to the doctor today and the dr. said that he could have devleoped a milk protein allergy. I am exclusively breastfeeding so the dr. instructed me to go on a milk product free diet for 2 weeks. If the blood is still present after 2 weeks I should  to call again. 

I have no problem trying to do this however, I am just a little confused and concerned. My son has not showed any signs of discomfort at all. Should I just give up breatsfeeding put him on formula? Will I prolong the problem and maybe even aggrevate his system over the next 2 weeks? I started reading all the boxes in my house and will do my very best to stick to the diet. I really enjoy nursing and until now we have been very lucky and not experienced any problems.  I just feel like the dr. didn't give me enough information. How do I know that this is really the problem?

If anyone as any information I would love to hear from you thanks.

Offline Xavier and Erica's mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • learn about Xavier's Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
milk protein allergy??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 23:46:53 pm »
I would definately stick with the Breast feeding, formula will NOT make it any better.  Going dairy free seems like it would be really hard, but once you do it, it's ok.  I have been dairy free for a year now and honestly I don't miss it so much. 
You should go over to the food allergy board and check out the MSPI info and feel free to pm me or any of us allergy mom's with questions (in addition to asking here) 
Be sure to watch for "hidden" dairy in many foods like lunch meat, hot dogs.  You need to avoid all dairy, not just milk.  look for whey, some caseinates, etc...I belive all that really good info is in the Allergy board. 
I wish you good luck!  Like I said, there are alot of us dairy free breast feeders and we will support you!  You can do it!
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
milk protein allergy??
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:22:48 am »
It seems really strange that he would just "develop" this out of the blue, and not show signs or symptoms until now. Has he ever been fussy/colicky?

Most milk intolerances are pretty obvious from the beginning, although they can get worse with time left untreated.

My first dd was milk protein intolerant, I was dairy free for a year nursing her. My second ds was milk and soy protein intolerant, I was dairy/soy free for a year plus the last part of pregnancy nursing him. It can be done! And yes, formula will make it worse.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies