Author Topic: Is my 4 month old using me for a prop to sleep?  (Read 983 times)

Offline motherofemmett

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is my 4 month old using me for a prop to sleep?
« on: September 30, 2005, 01:36:12 am »
I stay in the room with my son until he falls asleep.  I've heard if I leave before he falls asleep it will break his trust.  He doesn't usually fall asleep easily but does so after wiggling and flailing his arms.  At what age can I leave the room and allow him to fall asleep on his own? 
I'm afraid he is using my presence as a prop to sleeping.  He doesn't cry or fuss so I don't do PU/PD often.  How can I teach him to fall asleep on his own when I can't do PU/PD?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Is my 4 month old using me for a prop to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 19:07:51 pm »
it is possible he has gotten used to you.... let me see if i can clarify a couple of things.

what breaks trust is when you leave him to cry on his own.  babies cry because they need something from you, and if you don't go to them they lose trust in you that you will help them.  if your lo is just fidgeting around in his bed and not crying, he is okay with you not being there.  sometimes they make little crying noises (mantra cry) but they aren't really crying out to you. 

if he isn't fussing i would leave him to the falling asleep on his own.  if he is fussing, i would try shh/pat first, and resort to pu/pd later if that didn't work.  you can read about shh/pat here:
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/pat-shush-for-babies-under-3-months-old-vt26672.html

HTH a little  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy