Author Topic: Is it possible to BF and put baby on a schedule?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Is it possible to BF and put baby on a schedule?
« on: September 30, 2005, 15:40:34 pm »
I'm only newly pregnant but I didn't BF my daughter at all.  I am going to BF this baby, but one of my concerns is that all I hear about with BF babies is that they want to eat all night long.  Is that realistic?  Is there no hope of them sleeping through young?  How did you stick with the 3 hour EASY with BFing?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 17:04:55 pm »
I think it's wonderful that you're planning to breastfeed!!  Great that you're thinking about it now too - I found it helped to read up a bit before delivering, so I was better informed.  Jack Newman has a great book and there are wonderful resources online too (http://www.kellymom.com is one).

Have you read Tracy's book? It's very do-able to have a schedule with a breastfed baby - just see how many breastfeeding moms hang out here!! Babywhispering is all about listening to your baby and having a flexible routine (which baby seem to like... :? ).  I don't know who you're "hearing" from that bf babies eat all night long, but that's not really true. With a bf baby, you might find they can't go quite the 3 hrs or as long overnight as a formula fed baby, but the whole EASY routine works great.

I personally aimed for 3 hrs between feeds, but was happy with whatever my dd needed (if it was 2 or 2.5 near the beginning).  If you can, check out Tracy's book before you deliver and see how it suits you. And feel free to ask anything of all of us!!

How far along are you?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline amheusser

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 21:47:31 pm »
Congrats on the impending baby!!  :)

I agree - neither of my kids were eating all night long, because I didn't start the habit.  I'm not saying they slept through the night from birth or anything, but I don't think it's true that formula babies sleep better at all.  With cluster-feeds in the evening, you'll start to extend your nights pretty early on.  Mine never took a dream feed, but that can help some babies make it through the night too.

The 3-hour EASY only took a few days to get to, though you do have to be flexible and get to know your baby instead of watching the clock. 

I don't have any comparison, but I have to say I can't imagine dealing with the hassle of bottle-feeding.  To have to measure everything, clean everything, carry stuff everywhere, plan your outings around how many bottles you have, etc - it's not worth it.  Breastfeeding can be pretty awful for the first couple of weeks, but once you get it down it's SO much easier.  Definitely give it a shot this time!
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 23:50:21 pm »
I know it depends on the baby but my dd slept from 8pm until 5:30am at 7 weeks and by the next week it was until 7:30am (with a df around 10pm). I've only bf her and she's always slept like a dream.

I followed the BW techinique's from the beginning and it worked beautifully. Of course each child is different and not all breastfeeding mommies want their baby to sleep that long without nursing but it's what worked for me/us. I love bf'ing but I also love my sleep (slightly selfish).

So don't believe that they can't sleep through the night at an early age because of bf. It has more to do with the child and how the mom wants to parent. Weather it be sleeping throught the night or nursing to keep up a good supply, it's your choice (well, of course your baby will be the boss.)

Good luck. You won't regret nursing. :lol:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 02:46:24 am »
I agree with the previous posters 100% - just wanted to add that SO much depends on your baby and what will work for him/her.  You can totally put your baby on the EASY routine - you just may not be able to go with a 3 hour routine right off the bat.  My DD fed every 2 hours for her first few weeks, with cluster feeds at night, which resulted in a whole lot of nursing in the beginning.   However, the flip side of that is from the beginning, she did 4 hour stretches at night which gradually lengthened and she's been sleeping through (with a dreamfeed) since about 12 weeks or so.  I've found BF to be wonderful and quite easy.  I don't think DD would have possibly slept any better if she was bottle fed.  Best of luck with your LO.

annamum

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 03:06:45 am »
Yes, I wanted to agree that it really depends so much on your baby's temperament and personality. Some breastfed babies sleep through the night when they are a couple of weeks old and some bottle fed don't till they are much much older. Those that have easy disposition will generally adapt to and accept any sleeping and feeding arrangements and those who are more spirited or touchy won't. It really depends on your baby and you.

Also, sleeping through the night depends in most part on your baby's ability to put himself back to sleep and has nothing to do with formula or breastfeeding. The truth is that formula has some extra fillers that can keep infants tummy full longer than breastmilk that digests faster. But ultimately it is up to you to teach your baby how to go to sleep and if you use your breast or bottle as a prop every single time you put him to sleep he will learn to associate breast or bottle with sleep and need it each time he wakes.

I strongly advocate breastfeeding, once you get a hang of it, it is so easy and so worth it.