Author Topic: Looking for 'self-feeding' tips  (Read 1050 times)

Offline bheemeryck

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Looking for 'self-feeding' tips
« on: September 30, 2005, 15:46:31 pm »
I thought my lo wanting to feed himself was such a great thing... I know I'm supposed to be laid back about the whole mess thing but it's getting crazy!! If anyone would care to share tips on how and what they started giving their lo to assist them in feeding themselves, that would be great. My ds is refusing to be fed by me at all, if it goes in his mouth it's with his hands- and last night's cereal EVERYWHERE episode was a little too much :shock: , I need help. Plus, I'm not sure any of it gets in his mouth.

I do finger foods like cheerios, puffed wheat, cooked/soft fruit or veggies, but that infant cereal is supposed to be a main part of his diet (needs the iron) so I guess pointers from someone who's been here would be good. He's only 8 months, I thought he'd let me help him out a little longer!!
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 18:42:15 pm »
have you tried different cutlery? DD would make a real mess if we used weaning spoons, but I got lots of different types and found some that she can use well. 'older' cutklery is deeper which helps.

If she has a spoon to hokld her self and play with she will let me feed her but she has to have a spoon!!!!
Kimberley

Offline bheemeryck

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 16:17:42 pm »
I have tried different cutlery, but the hand-mouth coordination is still a little off, not that it deters us from letting him try!! I will try the extra spoons thing, I have also been experimenting and as long as there is something on the tray he can stuff in his mouth himself, I manage to get a few mouthfuls in in between his handfuls. Thanks for the suggestions!
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)