Author Topic: Help ! diarreah for 3 weeks  (Read 1488 times)

aimee240105

Help ! diarreah for 3 weeks
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:12:01 pm »
:roll:
Hi Its the first time i have been on here but it looks pretty good so hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice.

Basically my daughter - Aimee is 8 months old, she had a tummy bug 2 weeks ago which gave her really bad diarreah, she was admitted to hopspital due to dehydration as she went off her bottles and wouldn't drink a thing.

The bug went and then about 3 days later she started with diarreah again and she still has it now. Dr says its teething but im not so sure, getting really worried that shes not getting enough food and milk.

Has anyone any ideas as to why she isnt eating or drinking enough, or gone through anything similar themselves?

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 18:13:00 pm »
A quick couple of thoughts

did you introduce anything new before and the sickness could have been a reaction to it, and she has had it again since recovering from the diarrohea, which has caused the same symptoms. I think dairy products can have quite an effect - have a look on the allergy board and see if anyone might help there to see if it can be identified as a food allergy / intolerance.

i'm with you on the not going with the dr. idea of teething.

On the eating / drinking side.  I know that when Matthew has been sick he takes time to get back to his normal eating machine that he is.  After one illness he wasn't his usual self for at least 2 weeks.  In the inteveneing time he was only eating weetabix as he refused everything else.  I would offer drink little and often I guess.

I hope someone else comes back with ideas too.

Alex

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 23:12:49 pm »
My first thought was also food allergy, especially if it's gone on this long. I'd take a good look at what she's eating; dairy and grains can be major allergens.

When Josie had the runs that wouldn't quit, her doctor suggested we try probiotics, which helped. We found them at the pharmacy at our grocery store, just asked for infant probiotics and the phamacist knew what I meant (which was good, because at that point I had no idea what I was asking for! LOL).

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 03:39:02 am »
I know at the moment where I live gastro bugs are practically an epedimic, I spent 3days in hosp with my 4mo & while in Casualty they had 10 cases of gastro in toddlers, I'm sure after your stay you were given some info, but DON'T worry about the food, at her age milk is more than sufficient. Infact cut out all solids so you can rule out food allergy

With the fluids offer small amounts often. I was chatting to one of the nurses while we waited for ds test & she said they say 5mls every 5mins for vomitting under 1yo. & 10mls every 10, when they are bit older.
For diahrroa, I would offer her "her daily milk intake spread over 3-4 times as many opportunities as normal 9if she normally has 4 bottles a day offer her 12-16  very small ones & offer cool boiled water in between times... offer her something to drink every 15mins she is awake to aviod her dehydrating. Keep a log & make sure it is fairly close to her normal intake.

My ds#1 got sick (although not stomach bug) at 9mo & didn't eat solids for 3 weeks, He still took bf & my Dr & Early childhood nurse were very happy with that. He made up for the weight gains later & ate like there was no tomorrow. He got sick 10days ago & didn't eat for a week, these last days he eats everything not locked down... babies & toddlers are great regulators when given a chance, so just worry about the fluids
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05