Author Topic: how long is too long in the bassinet?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
how long is too long in the bassinet?
« on: October 01, 2005, 04:38:16 am »
my lo is 16 weeks old and growing like a weed...not a bad thing  :wink: she sleeps beside me at night in her bassinet and is gradually growing out of it.  how long should i let her sleep in it? till she grows out of it? during the day she naps in her room in her crib, but i am dreading the day that i have to put her to sleep for the night in her crib, i like having her near me...probably just a paranoid first time mother thing :shock: but i feel very comfortable with her beside me.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 05:51:27 am »
both my boys grew out at 7-8 weeks (both are tall), although I know some people whose lo's (both daughters) were in until 7-8 months. I had to move my boys as they hit the sides/end & woke themselves up
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline dmpmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 23:17:08 pm »
My dd is 4 months old today and I just put her in her crib 2 nights ago. I read somewhere that at the end of the 3rd month is a good time, so I had that in my head. She slept 10 hours straight through both nights, which was an improvement from when she was in the bassinet in our bedroom. I was very reluctant and sad to see her go, but we knew it was time - especially since I just started EASY 2 days ago. Plus, she was growing out of her bassinet, and I think she kept waking herself up when she stirred. Good luck.

Delaney Mae's mom

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 00:21:39 am »
i think it really comes down to how well she is sleeping in it.  usually by 3-4 months many babies start hitting their hands into the sides and waking themselves up (not a problem if well swaddled, but if they get a hand free it can hit the sides...) we moved both girsl out of it around 8 weeks.

for others - it is a good way to get them to sleep well for longer because it is cozier like the womb so very comforting.

so i woudl just keep an eye on how big she is getting and be realistic.  if there is very little empty space around her then it is time to move to the cot/crib.  just imagine she wants to feel cozy but not cramped (after all she is growing up and will want to move around a bit soon enough)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 19:57:28 pm »
I hated moving Grayson into his room too, but we did it at 7 weeks. What might help calm your nerves, it did for me anyway, is to use the Angel Care monitor.  It's a monitor that slides in between the bed and the mattress and monitors the baby's breathing.  If the baby stops breathing, the monitor will alarm.  It's been such a peace of mind knowing that if he stops breathing, I would know about it.  Otherwise, he would still be sleeping in my bed!   :oops:

Good luck and do what feels right.

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 14:37:12 pm »
thanks for everyone's replies!  well we are moving in two weeks so i figure i will let her start sleeping in her crib then.  she still fits into her bassinet length wise and as long as she is swaddled she seems to sleep well in it...but i guess it is time to move forward! :wink:
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline webfoot

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 14:58:58 pm »
Evan is six months and long (95%) and he is still in his bassinette. He does sleep in his crib for his morning and sometimes his afterrnoon nap. We have a small house w/ 3 kids so he pretty much sleeps anywhere I can put him. (all 3 kids share a room.) I like to have him by me at night though, just can't bear to put him in his room yet. If he isn't sleeping next to me he's in the bassinette. What is funny though is when he wakes up he'll roll over onto his back and he kicks his feet out of it and grabs the mobile on it so he can work it over. SO CUTE!
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!