Author Topic: When will it start working?  (Read 1217 times)

aidensmum

When will it start working?
« on: October 01, 2005, 11:07:58 am »
Hi all,
I have a almost 11 week old baby boy.  After trying lots of other methods with no success I have started trying Tracy's book.  We have now been doing the EASY routine for 4 days.  My main problem is that Aiden won't sleep for very long before waking up during the day.  He can wake up anywhere from 10-45 mins after I have put him down.  It is often extremely difficult to get him to resettle and of :( ten takes up to half an hour.  Then he will wake again another half an hour later!  To get him to have his 1.5-2.0 hours of nap time we have to go in there at least 3 times. 
The positives I have noticed since starting him on EASY is that he goes down a lot better and is generally very good at putting himself off the sleep initially.  But he seems unable to resettle himself again. 
To put him down we are holding him and patting his back and using a pacifier.  Generally within about 1 minute you can see he is getting tired so we put him down before he is asleep.  He then tosses and turns his head for a while and grunts and groans and then goes to sleep.  He then always spits out the pacifier within 5 minutes or so.
When he wakes up after 10-30 mins he starts to make little noises.  I have tried to leave him go so he can resettle but he just starts crying and its not just a whingey cry.  We have really had no improvement at all since starting EASY in solving this napping problem and this is why I really started. 
Sometimes I wonder if we are teaching him that we will always come in when he wakes up and that is why is keeps waking. But isn't this what I am supposed to do?  We just go in and pat him and shhh him.  Sometimes (very rarely) this will put him off again but more often than not we have to pick him up and calm him down and then start again as if we were starting his nap. 
I am finding this really frustrating and it means I am just so tired as I can't rest at all during the day as he is constantly waking.  At night he has the dream feed at between 10-11 and then still wakes at arouund 2-3 and then again at about 6.
Please help - any ideas would be REALLY appreciated.
Shayla

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 17:39:44 pm »
Like you said, you have tried lots of other methods and it will take him a while to get w/ the new program.

Plan on it taking 3 weeks to re-set a baby's biorythms.

Quote (selected)
He can wake up anywhere from 10-45 mins after I have put him down. It is often extremely difficult to get him to resettle and of  ten takes up to half an hour. Then he will wake again another half an hour later! To get him to have his 1.5-2.0 hours of nap time we have to go in there at least 3 times.

This is totally normal, there are specific partial awakenings in an infants sleep cycle-- 10 min., 20 min and 40 min. mark. It sounds like he is having trouble with the awakenings.  Make sure he is not overtired as this can cause him to jolt during the awakening and cause him to cry out and fully wake up. So, once he is asleep, stay in or near his room at least 20 mins. Put your hand on him to help him settle-- but be as subtle as you can, just let the pressure of your hands settle him. In fact, I would put my hand on him before the jolt. Be prepared for the first few naps to be tough, because he is used to fully awakening at this point and he is an older baby. This isn't something that will be solved in a day.. more like a few weeks. But if you are consistent and persistent, he will get past it.

Hope this helps.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 17:41:05 pm »
I would also recommend you read the announcements at the top of this forum for teaching sleep to infants.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/teaching-sleep-to-newborns-and-young-infants-vt39164.html