Author Topic: Won't eat me 'cause his mouth is too small to fit me in it!!  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Costarican mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Won't eat me 'cause his mouth is too small to fit me in it!!
« on: October 01, 2005, 22:36:23 pm »
Funny how a couple of months ago I was posting about my son not wanting to eat anything....well now it's like he won't stop eating!!! I think he won't eat me 'cause he needs me around to go do the grocery shopping!!  :P   Anyways.... the pediatrician mentioned he's a bit on the chubby side, but that's not really my main concern, since kids at this age (13 months) are starting to exercise so much, that I'm sure his weight will even out eventually.  My concern is more oriented towards the fact that I don't want him getting used to eating all day long...I don't really find that to be a very healthy habit....but God...he just seems hungry all the time... I mean, his snacking doesn't really tamper with his meals...so I can't use that as an excuse!!!  :?   I do though, try to give him healthy snacks:  raisins, yogurt, graham and/or wheat cookies, soy cakes, etc... nothing with a lot of sugar or carbs... but still....should I be worried?  He just gets so upset when he asks for food and I don't give it to him... 85% of his tantrums are food related... I think we've definately got a problem... somebody is wrong... is it me, or is it him?  I need some advice.
He's happy going around with his Nuby bottle, even if there's just water in it... I'd rather he don't, but if it's just water and it makes him happy... should I just give it up?

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 22:45:13 pm »
It's funny, some kids this age seem as if they couldn't care less about food, and some are just getting good and hungry!  I say that if he's asking for food and is hungry, give him some food.  And if he's thirsty, give him some water!  Toddlers' tummies are so small that they don't hold much at one time and empty pretty quickly, so your little guy needs more snacks than we do.  If you're offering healthy snacks like whole grains, dairy, and fruits and veggies, I see no problem with him snacking, as long as he still eats his meals, which it sounds like he is.  He might be getting ready to have a growth spurt and just needs the extra calories now.  I believe that Mother Nature was wise when she designed baby and toddler appetites.  They know when they need to eat, and how much.  So let him eat!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Costarican mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 13:15:23 pm »
You think so Sabrina?  I think that the real issue here is that I was a chubby kid and so was one of my brothers...and we both suffered so much because of it, that I NEVER want to see my son go thru that... kids can be so cruel!  I know this is my own personal issue...but it is my job to teach him healthy habits so that he's hopefully never in that position.  When the doctor said he was a bit overweight, and that it could start to become an issue because they don't grow as much now, it freaked me out.... he's a very tall child, and he looks fine to me...he's not a skinny kid, but he's not fat either... he's just big and he always will be...everybody in my family is...so I'm not aiming at a petit person either...I am being realistic.
Soooo...with that said, my husband keeps telling me not to worry...that he'll make sure he gets enough exercise to burn a million calories when he's old enough to be involved in sports.... so I'm hoping his Dad's genes will kick in and he'll like sweating...so he can eat anything and not have to worry about it!
I guess I'll continue providing healthy snacks as long as they don't interfere with his meals then....  any more opinions would be appreciated.

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 15:59:28 pm »
I'm with Sabrina.

Adrian has a hearty appetite too, unless sick or teething. He is skinny, so I don't have your worries, but I'd say if he asks for food give it to him.

One thing that you might want to try is to offer him more food at one sitting, bigger meals and bigger snacks to reduce the number of snacks. Adrian's meals are at least half a size of mine (plus 2-3 snacks a day).
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 16:00:38 pm »
I'm with Sabrina.

Adrian has a hearty appetite too, unless sick or teething. He is skinny, so I don't have your worries, but I'd say if he asks for food give it to him.

One thing that you might want to try is to offer him more food at one sitting, bigger meals and bigger snacks to reduce the number of snacks. Adrian's meals are at least half a size of mine (plus 2-3 snacks a day).
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline Baby Nanny

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Me and my Angel - 6 weeks old
    • Nanny Network
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 15:18:32 pm »
Thomas east loads too!  I restrict his snacks to set times (snack 7, breakfast 8am, snack 10, lunch 12, snack 3, dinner 5, snack 6, bottle 7)!!  He eats really well at these times and I don't let him eat between them.  I know it probably sounds cruel on paper, but he is eating every 2 hours or so!  He is a big boy - 97% pecentile