Author Topic: 4 month old waking at night need help  (Read 1348 times)

Offline briansprincess

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:41:22 pm »
Hi everyone. Im not much of a poster just a lurker, but you lady offer some great help around here and I need your help.
MY 4month old started waking up more durning the night this week and I have no idea why. Before it was just once a night to feed at 4:30 and then back to sleep. Well all of this week it has been about an 1 hr after he goes to bed , he will fuss for about an hr and go back to sleep. Then he's up at 1:30 or 2:00 and will not go back to sleep if I don't nurse him, he will take a full feed. HE then wakes up around 5:30 and will fuss and go back to sleep in 1/2hr and then hes up at 8 to start the day.
I don't know what to do.  His morning nap is only 45min at the most and he will not sleep any longer. His afternoon nap is 1 1/2 at the most and his catnap is only 40mins.  We have a good bedtime routine and we are on the 4hr easy.

8am-wake and b/f
9am-cereal
9:45 to 10:00am go down for nap, only 45mins
11am-b/f
1pm-nap only 1 1/2 hr
3pm-bf
4:30-nap only 40 mins
6pm-b/f
6:30-cereal
7pm-bath and massage
7:30-bottle, will drink 6oz
8pm-bed

any help would be greatly would be helpful.

Thank you Crystal

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
4 month old waking at night need help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 01:54:17 am »
Crystal
based on the information you have given, the first thing is he is overtired when he goes to bed... 3 hours is too long for a 4mo & my ds#1 used to always wake up about an hour after bedtime if he was overtired.

Also the evening solids may be upsetting his tummy, he is still quiet young & his digestive system may not be coping well with them, I would actually suggest cutting back on them or at least offering them earlier in the day. (did the extra night wakings come before ort after solids??)

You are actually more on a 3/4 Easy & so he may be snacking a bit on the feeds & added to the typical 4mo distraction he is probably not taking big enough feeds as his stomach hasn't been "stretched" enough to take in feeds that are sufficient to store the amounts needed & thus he makes up for it at night. So concentrate on getting really good feeds into him during the day... is that bottle formula? as offering that may mean your milk supply is not as great as you think it is.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
4 month old waking at night need help
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:55:18 am »
Crystal
based on the information you have given, the first thing is he is overtired when he goes to bed... 3 hours is too long for a 4mo & my ds#1 used to always wake up about an hour after bedtime if he was overtired. So I think you need to work on extending some/all of the naps to get it to only 2 hours awake time

Also the evening solids may be upsetting his tummy, he is still quiet young & his digestive system may not be coping well with them, I would actually suggest cutting back on them or at least offering them earlier in the day. (did the extra night wakings come before ort after solids??)

You are actually more on a 3/4 Easy & so he may be snacking a bit on the feeds & added to the typical 4mo distraction he is probably not taking big enough feeds as his stomach hasn't been "stretched" enough to take in feeds that are sufficient to store the amounts needed & thus he makes up for it at night. So concentrate on getting really good feeds into him during the day... is that bottle formula? as offering that may mean your milk supply is not as great as you think it is.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline briansprincess

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 17:19:46 pm »
Thank you verymuch for your reponse Kate.  I re read my most and realized that he wasn't on a 4hr easy at all, so Iam re reading Tracy book and im going to work on puting him on a 4hr easy.  Lastnight I gave him 1/2 the solids i give him at night and put him to bed early and he only woke up once to feed at 4am. So this week im going to bring in a dream feed and get ride of the early morning feed.

Thank you for your help,
Crystal