Author Topic: 3 month old waking through the night  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Emmy's Mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 month old waking through the night
« on: October 02, 2005, 01:19:53 am »
Hi all, my lo is 3.5 months old and is feeding 3 hrly through the night! I know that at her age she should be starting to sleep through. She used to be able to go without a feed for up to 7 hrs at a time but since her 3 month growth spurt she's reverted back to 3 hrly feeds (sometimes 2 to 2.5 hrly). She seems to be hungry but will often fall asleep at my breast. She is currently on 3 hr EASY and will take approx 3 to 4 naps of a day (depends on the length of the naps), she is only just starting to overcome her 0.5 hr catnaps and so will take naps of anything between 0.5 to 2.5 hr stretches and is able to put herself to sleep independently. I try to feed her during the day as much as possible but she still wakes up for her nighttime feeds....Any advice on how to reduce her nighttime feeds would be appreciated....I am feeling the effects of sleep deprivation! What are the purpose of dreamfeeds? I tried it once but she woke up for another feed 3 hrs after the dreamfeed.
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:10:37 am »
I am also dealing with this problem.  Just started this last week.
Also he has not over come the 30 min nap problem.
He also won't eat during the day.  today between 9:45am and 7:45pm he ate 4-6oz total.
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 02:16:46 am »
You should e-mail me if you get any insite or figure anything out.  I would love to keep in touch.  Do you have MSN IM?  I LOVE to IM when I can.

My e-mail address is dream_ranch@Hotmail.com
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 03:23:00 am »
Just a quick note here, feeding too frequently during the day can cause snacking & thus more night waking. You need to make sure that the feeds are good full day time feeds & stretch them just past the 3hour mark, not less than 3 hours if you have just gone through the growth spurt. Sounds illogical, but is actually the way it seems to work to get your lo's feeding less at night! My ds is 4mo & a big boy, but up until a 3 day stint in hospital, from 3mo, he was feeding 5 bf/24hours (3.5 hours apart) & going 10 hours sleep with out waking up. when I was doing 6 feeds he only went 6hours!!
I am now in the process of stretching back to 3 hours, then 3.5 hours after 2 hourly feeding to bring back my supply from the problems of his illness... his night sleep is now doing better too (from waking every 3 hours to up to 5/6 hour stretches), so I know it works
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Emmy's Mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 05:27:19 am »
Thanks Katet for that suggestion - I'm going to try and bring her feeds back to 3 hrs or more - what do you do though if your lo is hungry and it has only been 2 or 2.5 hrs since the last feed? Do you hold off? I try to hold off for as long as possible but she gets very unsettled and most of the times I give in and feed her...I suppose that's what starts off the cycle.

Adria: I do have instant messaging - and I would love to chat seeing as our lo's are so close in age and going through the same stage (hopefully this is only short-term!) With the short naps I tried the wake to sleep method that was suggested by some of the other mums online here and I'm not sure if it was that that helped or whether my dd started to work it out for herself....She's not perfect at it but at least I get some 2 hr naps now where previously I only ever got 45 mins max and had to deal with a chronically overtired baby! Msg me your IM id and we'll chat more  :)
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007