Author Topic: Waking at 2.00am - Weaned off Swaddling!  (Read 1357 times)

Offline scarletts mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Waking at 2.00am - Weaned off Swaddling!
« on: October 02, 2005, 08:54:19 am »
Hi

We have spent the last few weeks weaning out 15 week old dd off her swaddling.  She had been swaddled from birth but around 11 weeks started fighting against it and getting very upset, so we started swaddling her with one arm out etc...   She had been sleeping through from 7.00pm till 7.00am like this. 

Two nights ago we took the brave step of putting her to bed at night with no swaddling at all.  She goes to sleep indpendently with no dummy etc, and she went to sleep no problems as usual.. .UNTIL 2.00am when for the past two nights she has woken. 

I know it will take a little bit of getting used to for her, but I wondered what the best course of action is to help her through this?

I dont feed her when she wakes because she isnt hungry, it is more of a cant settle noise she makes, but it is a tired sound. 

During the day we are battling the wonderful 45 minute naps which I extend with her dummy (no problem doing this as she doesnt need one to go to sleep with in the first instance). 

So during the night I have been giving her dummy just to help soothe her, which works.  Is this okay or should I leave her for a little while to see if she settles herself?

Just when you thought you had one thing cracked another comes along!!

Thanks
Lizzie

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:09:20 am »
Lizzie, was there are reason you weaned off the swaddle? cos if keeping it makes here sleep through, then that is my answer, go back to swaddling or half swaddling!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline scarletts mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 08:26:26 am »
Hi

She started fighting against the full swaddling sometime ago and was getting upset in the night, we would re-swaddle her quite a few times.  So we took that as her sign she was ready to be rid of it.

We have had about four weeks at half-swaddling, and whilst she was sleeping through she would always wake up out of it completely, she is like Houdini as we used the miracle blanket and it was always very snug round her.

We are concious of working towards her signs and the fact that she is only waking up once and goes down quite happily without it is the deciding factor to persevere with it for her.  She is starting to roll over etc and I dont want to restrict her development.

I just wondered if there was anything we could do to ease the transition for her?  Last night she didnt wake till 4.30, we gave her her dummy she spat it out after about five mins, made a few noises then settled herself again till 6.00am this morning.

Should I just keep on with this and eventually she will learn to settle herself?

Thanks
Lizzie

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 10:08:16 am »
Sounds like the rolling part might be part of it too.
It is actually very normal for babies to go through stages of waking at developmental milestones. If someone tells you their baby always slept through from 6 weeks...they must have had a one in 100 million baby I think!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline scarletts mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:03:26 am »
Thanks for your help.

Shall I just carry on as I have been doing?

Thanks
Lizzie