Author Topic: Bathtime Trauma  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Nicoles Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Bathtime Trauma
« on: October 02, 2005, 15:49:32 pm »
Hi - can anyone help?

Nicole is now 12 weeks old and up to last week seemed to enjoy her bath time (she didn't cry at all and sat there quite happily while we washed her).  She has a plastic bath chair which she's used since she was born - it's been a godsend as I can have both hands free to wash her and she's held safely in the chair.

However, last week she suddenly had a "terror" attack in the bath - her whole body went rigid and the expression on her face was pure terror.  It took a good few minutes to calm her down when we took her out of the bath.  After three nights of this we've decided to stop using the bath chair.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening and if there's anything we can do to help Nicole enjoy baths again.

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Bathtime Trauma
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 16:47:12 pm »
That is so tough...  Can you think of any experiece that might have scared her - like swallowed water or water too warm?  If not, she might just be going through a phase and things will get better overtime.

Until she is comfortable again, can you get in the tub with her at bathtime?  She might be more comfortable in your arms for a while...
Sheila
ng

Offline Pendle Girl

• Showing Appreciation 0
Bathtime Trauma
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 21:42:13 pm »
The exact same thing happenned with my dd with no previous bad experience.  I tried getting in the bath with her, talking to her, just putting her legs in, just sitting up - everything, but nothing worked.

Then 2 nights ago, I made the bath fairly cooler - and she loved it and has done ever since.

She's obviously decided what temperature she likes and tonight was almost swimming!!

So just keep trying different things until you find what they like.

Offline bellerby

• Showing Appreciation 0
Bathtime Trauma
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 22:52:17 pm »
Hi!

This is happening for me too with my dd... At least we know that it's not something we're really doing wrong!

Does your baby scream right away as soon as you put her in, or does she seem okay for a couple of minutes?

This is what really confuses me - my dd is happy at first and then after a couple of minutes screams bloody murder and turns red in the face! She NEVER cries like that so it's so scary...

I guess we'll keep trying. Any luck with not using the bath chair??

Offline nicb

• Showing Appreciation 0
Bathtime Trauma
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 00:36:42 am »
This happened with my DD at the same age. We had her in a plain, flat-bottomed baby tub lying on a terry cloth sling. One night she freaked out in the tub for no apparent reason that we could think of. She did the same thing for the next two nights. The fourth night, I sat her up in the tub. She started to wail, then I pulled out some bath toys, and it distracted her. She immediately attended to the toys, forgot whatever it was that was distressing her, and she's been fine ever since. She's 9.5 months old now, still sitting in her baby tub and we never did figure out what caused her to get so upset. The only thing we changed was that we sat her up and put toys in the tub.
Nic
Mum to Madelyn - January 7, 2005