Author Topic: Loss of interest in right side  (Read 1387 times)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« on: October 02, 2005, 18:56:19 pm »
For the last two days, dd was not wanted to nurse on the right during our mid-afternoon feeding.  The first time it happened we were on a plane, so I assumed she was uncomfortable as space was constrained, and I didn't have her in the normal position.  But we're home now, and she has eaten on the right just fine at her other feedings since.  But today, at the same feeding, she refused again.  What's the deal?

Dd is 8.5mos and bfs four times a day.  We just spent a week visiting family so she is a bit overtired and her routine is definitely off, but she's doing ok otherwise.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

stasztk

Loss of interest in right side
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 19:11:47 pm »
But she'll eat fine on the left if you trade?
Many babies have preference. Mine likes the right the best. But she has never just refused the left entirely.
Keep trying and let us know how it goes. It doesn't sound to mr Like it will become a problem.

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 20:41:06 pm »
She does eat from the left.  I've just fed her from both sides at each feeding since about three months, so I want to make sure she is getting enough. 

Also, after her afternoon feeding today, I had to the opportunity to attempt pumping.  I pumped (with an Ameda double electric pump) for 15min on the right and got nothing.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

annamum

Loss of interest in right side
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 22:23:20 pm »
Deborah,

That's true that some babies have preferences and it is fairly common, I know many women who nurse only on one side. The preference to one side may appear as early as immediately after birth or much later, even after a year of nursing. There are different reasons for this, one may be the slower flow from one breast. Baby naturally will prefer the one with a faster flow.

It could be that something triggered her and now she refused it again, babies have a good memory. In your case I would keep offering, matter-of-factly, she may go back to it again. YOu can try putting her in different position and see if this would help. Since it is only once a day, she may be able to get over it.

But, I want to be honest, there is a chance she will not get back to it. Even in this case you still can produce enough milk from one breast for her. THis would, of course, require some time for your breast to adjust to this new scenario but it is doable. Hey, I am an example that you can nurse your baby with just one breast  :lol: .
Anyway, try first to be patient and keep offering, try different positions over some time, in a week you should see if it goes in good or wrong direction. If she refuses completely, let me know, I will help you, OK?