Author Topic: sudden screaming when put down & short naps  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
sudden screaming when put down & short naps
« on: October 02, 2005, 20:11:02 pm »
HELP!!!!!

i have no idea what's going on with luke.  he's now 8 months old.  i have battled all sorts of sleeping issues with this kid, and for a few months now he has known how to go down for a nap/bedtime on his own & sleep.

normally, he was having a 1.5 hr nap in the morning, and about a 2-hr nap in the afternoon. 

the past few days everything has shattered.  he now screams when he's put in bed, and when i finally get him to sleep, he only sleeps maybe an hour - and wakes up screaming at the top of his lungs.  while he still gets an 1.5 hr in the morning (usually), he's getting nowhere near what he needs in the afternoon.

i have never left him to CIO, and i go to him when he cries & he just screeches the whole time.  he thrashes about the crib when he's in it, and when i pick him up (trying to do pu/pd), he arches out of my arms so i end up putting him down almost immediately to avoid dropping him.

usually he never goes back down, and i do this until it's time for him to eat again, so i feel it's just getting worse.  last night he actually woke up screaming 4 times - a first since he was 3 months old!  it's just a horrible viscious cycle and i have no idea what's causing it so i can break it!!!

i suspect there is some separation anxiety involved here, but i have no idea what to do about it.  i also think he's just realized how much fun it is to play in the world and doesn't want to stop.

please help!  i can't take the screaming much longer!   :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Keren

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 21:28:55 pm »
Jaime

It could be seperation anxiety and it also could be developmental nap refusal. My bub went through this at about 8 months of age. Just cried and fussed when trying to put him down for a nap. It lasted about a week then he was back to his normal self.

Is your lo going through some developmental milestones or about to?

Hang in there. It will get back to normal.  :D

Cheers
Keren

Offline Jaime

• Administrator
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 01:01:51 am »
thanks for your replies.

i did consider an ear infection, but i don't think that is the case; his mattress is not flat and he will play happily on the floor on his back if he wants to.

keren - am hoping it is just a week!   :D  he did just start a 3rd meal of solids this week, so i think it could partially be his body getting used to digesting more food.  he also very badly wants to be mobile and isn't, so maybe he needs to work off more energy?  and i'm sure the separation anxiety isn't helping any...

He drank breast milk for 6 months because i pumped, but after that i returned to work and as my job does not allow me the time nor the place (nor do they have to because there is no law in FL  :( ) to continue pumping he eats formula.  he's been doing it for quite a while, so i am confident that he is not allergic to any of the ingredients.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 01:25:26 am »
Hey Jaime,

I agree 8 months old is a tough time for sep anxiety. There is a huge emotional leap around this time. He is realizing he has a say in his life, and he sounds very strong willed!  :wink:  Teeth on top of that, and you may have some sleep issues.

My suggestions are more along the lines of Tracy's advice (since it is HER website, and that's why we're here!  :D ). Try introducing a lovey, encouraging him with it during the day. Have a decent (not too long, not too short) winddown routine. Try Motrin for nighttimes and see if it is teeth. Try to keep consistant with his routine. He will work out of this, just do your best to not become his prop, let him use that new-found independence to help himself get to sleep.

As the moderator in the breastfeeding forum, I know how hard you have worked to provide breastmilk for your baby as long as you could. Your determination exceeds mine, and I am a bfing "nazi".  :wink:   

As for the PP who suggested the dairy thing, well you never know if *something* you've given is causing pain. (Although I think that stating formula is a tool of the devil is slightly harsh and overstated ...  :roll:  :? ) As a mom with two milk-protein intolerant babies, I understand that food is a possible cause. (although MPI or MSPI usually shows up much earlier in life than 8 months) Have you started any new solids recently? Are you dealing with constipation?

{hugs} and you know as well as any second time mommy that this too shall pass.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline alligirl

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 04:06:34 am »
What's his attitude like during the day?  When Stephen went through what you are describing, he was a bit cranky during the day, but naps and nights were awful when they had previously been easy.   After several days, I finally called the doc and took him in.  I hadn't really thought of the idea of an ear infection, but that's exactly what it was.

All this to say: if it doesn't get better and you can't figure it out, call the doc....you might get some mroe ideas/answers as to what it is.

{{HUGS}}
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 11:29:58 am »
Hi Jaime!

I love GraceKellysmom's ideas. :D

You're doing great with the PU/PD though and putting him back when he trashes, arches, etc is exactly what Tracy says to do.  I think she might say that is a sign of trying to self settle.?

Does he do this for the sitter too?

If it helps any you sound like you're doing everything  :D

Are his eyes closed at all when he is doing this at night- or is he completely awake?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 18:11:50 pm »
Hi all,

I have chosen to make some deletions and edit this thread. The nature of this board is to support parents and to provide them with options and choices-- not to make them feel inferior and to incompetent.  Tracy Hogg specifically designed this site, as a safe-haven for parents who want to build their confidence as well as to support others. 

Please continue to share your experiences in a non-judgemental manner. We are all doing our best to care and love our babies.

Should you wish to discuss this with myself, or the site administrators, please feel free to pm me.

Thank-you,
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Jaime

• Administrator
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 19:09:16 pm »
thanks for your replies, ladies!

i have not been dealing with constipation - he is scarily regular these days.   :wink:  the newest food i have given him is apples - and that was well over a week ago, and no other indications of allergies (rash, fever, painful bum)  ??? 

he will have a dr appt soon for his 9-month checkup, but if nothing seems to get better we may well be in there sooner!

for the sitter - he goes down okay, but does not sleep as long, and also wakes up screaming.   :roll:

his demeanor is pretty chipper when he is awake.  he only gets cranky when he starts to feel lonesome - sometimes even if i'm just sitting nearby it's too far!  sounds a lot like separation anxiety, huh? 

i've also noticed that he seems to go crazy with the rolling when he's in the crib - developmental?  he does seem to want to be mobile during the day, but can't quite figure out how.  any tips on encouraging him??

in that case, guess i can just keep on truckin' and reassuring him that i am indeed here for the long haul.  thanks for the encouraging words on pu/pd.  yes, this shall pass, but i hope i'm still sane at the end!  :lol:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy