Author Topic: lo won't sleep for more than 45 minutes  (Read 1709 times)

Offline jsmith328

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 02, 2005, 21:16:50 pm »
My 7 week old will not sleep for more than 45 minutes at nap time. By the time he wakes up I still have an hour before his next feeding. I have tried soothing him and putting him back to sleep in his crib but the only thing that works is to rock him back to sleep. I know I shouldn't be doing this but I don't know how else to get him back to sleep. If I don't rock him I have a crying tired baby for an hour. I know he is still tired but I don't know what to do

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
lo won't sleep for more than 45 minutes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 20:36:05 pm »
Right now, I wouldn't worry about it. He's a newborn, and his body clock is changing.  For now, just concentrate on him learning how to fall asleep, keep his awake times short and low in stimulation, and just get to know his cues and behaviour.  When he's a little older, more mature, and his self soothing ability starts, then we can make changes then.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Kim -Bailey's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
45 minutes
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 13:28:16 pm »
I know how you feel.  8 weeks was the time that my lo starting 45 minute naps. I've just been working on extending his naps.  We are on day 9 of me going in to pat/shss to extend his naps and for the first time ever, Bailey extended his nap past 45 minutes without me going in.  Prior to this it would take anywhere from 10 - 40 minutes of pat/shss, for him to extend.
I just thought that I would let you know that I just started playing heartbeat music for him while he sleeps.  I'm not sure if its the sound (just a heartbeat, no music) or if the pat/shss is what's working, but I'm not changing a thing. 
Hang in there, it will get better.  If you want more details about how the last 9 days have gone, write me back (most days were terrible, but the last 2 I've seen definite improvement).
Kim
Jocelyn - Angel Toddler

Bailey - Touchy Baby