Author Topic: Seriously Considering Giving This Up!!!!  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Mom2you

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 02, 2005, 22:32:54 pm »
Ok - I have had just about all the stress of the fighting and crying - with very little desireable results - that I can take! My daughter (5 mos) slept pretty well yesterday, and put herself to sleep last night (3rd day in to this) without her paci! I was ecstatic..............then today happened. She flat out refused to take her first nap- sh/pat for over an hour- so I decided to let her get up and eat then play, and try later. She slept for 45 minutes that time, after 30 min of sh/pat. Got up tired and grouchy......we fought for another hour and a half, to no avail. I finally got out to the grocery store, and she fell asleep on the way home! :roll:  I put her in her bed.......another 45 min nap. She's tired and grouchy and I have spent my entire day in her bedroom ignoring my son and husband! I am beyond stressed and exhausted. I have completely forgotten the reason I thought her sleep regime needed changing?? Anyone else feel this way?  :cry:
Mom of Spirited Kenna (and Gage)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Seriously Considering Giving This Up!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 00:49:09 am »
Oh, I do SO hear ya!!!! And when there's already another child in the family, it makes it so much harder! :(

With Natalie, I've been much less structured than I was planning on being, partly due to her ridiculously inconsistent wake times and nap lengths and partly because the only way I can juggle taking Josie to preschool and getting ANY errands or chores done is to try to roll with the punches. Truth is that she falls asleep best sitting on my lap with a paci in her mouth and me putting her in her bed when she's reached a certain point of relaxation, assuming a quiet house. :?

It's not unusual for things to get better, then worse for a day or two, and then finally gel for good. Remember also that whenever there's a developmental leap, like when a new skill is emerging or about to emerge, sleep patterns go out the window. It's like they WANT to keep us on our toes.

In the end, if your #2 child doesn't get as much sleep during the day as she should, you can always try putting he to bed earlier or try again the next day; consistency is the way they know what's coming and it actually gives them a sense of security (says the mom whose baby wakes for the day any time between 5AM and 7:30 :oops: , but at least we have a ROUTINE down, if not remotely set TIMES. LOL). I spent most of Natalie's first 3 months obsessing over the nap thing and finally gave up as I was spending far too little time with Josie and Natalie was spending far to much time seeing Mommy frustrated. Just do the best you can, and nobody can fault you for that! :)

{{{{{HUGS}}}}},

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 12:47:02 pm »
Just popping this over to the sleep board.

love
Marie

Offline shem2005

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 01:18:41 am »
I am with you 100%. I try and try and some days i just hate all of this. It gets better and you think wow its working, then it gets worse again. Are we fighting a losing battle? I am a little more relaxed about it now but in saying that i still want long naps of 1.5-2 hours.

Some days i think if i am just consistent she will get it e.g. keep persisting with pat shh until it is actually time to get up. But i don't know that she will.

Sometimes I wish i had never found BW (bad thought isn't it). The only thing that keeps me going is that i am stubborn and i don't want to put up with short naps!! I search everyday for answers to our problems but like the other poster said - there routines are constantly getting messed up by development, growth spurts etc. So maybe we are fighting a losing battle.

Sorry, not a very positive post for you. But i really understand your frustration and i know that spending that much time trying to settle your baby just is not good for you or your baby, you get upset/angry and don't enjoy your baby.

That being said, today is another day and i am sending you positive vibes and hope that it turns out a successful day.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 01:29:58 am »
Quote from: shem2005
I search everyday for answers to our problems but like the other poster said - there routines are constantly getting messed up by development, growth spurts etc. So maybe we are fighting a losing battle.

Don't think "losing battle," since the blips DO happen but not all the time (although it does seem like it sometimes! :?). Just think "blip" and try to move on.

When Josie was going through her 45-minute thing, the best thing I did was to stop worrying and let happen whatever happens. It's helping w/Natalie now: when she naps longer than 45 minutes, I cheer, and when she doesn't well, she goes down earlier next time! :) All obsessing about it was getting me was frustrated, away from my family, and not having any life at all - NOT good for Mommy or for family.

Offline Mom2you

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 14:48:30 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement....and the understanding. Yes, today is a new day, and I have hope. Last night was the worst night we've ever had with her, in her whole 5 mos! But, I'm assuming she is working on a new skill, and we'll wait it out! (Somedays I'm more positive in thinking than others) I'm trying very hard to be less obsessive and more calm and let things be how they are........but it not my natural personality!!  :oops: I've found every mom has their thing they obsess about - some about food, or germs, others of us about sleep!  :)

I wish us all luck!
Mom of Spirited Kenna (and Gage)