Author Topic: Night Wakings every 45 mins  (Read 1377 times)

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Night Wakings every 45 mins
« on: October 03, 2005, 06:42:45 am »
I'm confused and tired.

Between 2.00am and 3.15am my DD wakes up.  If she still has her dummy in she goes back to sleep. If she doesn't she will struggle to get out of swaddle and wakes herself completely up.  She goes on like this every 45 mins until about 5.00am wakes up for the day.  I try to send her to sleep, I get there at about 6.15am and then have to get up for the day at 7.00am.   She doesn't cry for a feed so I don't know what to do.

I was going to put her in her own room starting tonight but I dont know whether to or not.  She is 15 weeks today (she was a premmie by 3 weeks).

Her naps times are okay, 45 mins at about 8.45am. 1.5hr  at 11.30, 1.5hr at about 2.15m-2.30pm. and roughly 45 mins between 5pm-6pm
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 06:57:28 am »
Sorry  you are having a hard time, but there are two clear reasons & both can be fixed (with hard & consistenet effort on your part)

Firstly you need to work on extending the 45min naps as she can't resettle herself to sleep... I suggest looking at the nap forum for that there are some great announcements on how people have dealt with it (One by Deb is very good). 45min naps are very often the cause of night waking. At 15weeks you should give your daughter 2- 3 solid naps of about 2 hours each (+ a cat nap, if she only takes 2 long ones) Over tired babies are also prone to wake up more at night.

Secondly I think the dummy is also a problem, she doesn't know how to go to sleep/back to sleep without it, so it is probably time to wean her from that too. The props board also has great announcments on how to do that.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 07:20:29 am »
I know the dummy is a problem now. But her morning nap about 8.45 she wakes up and is happy and doesn't want to go to sleep again.  In tracy book, at this age she says 1.5hr per nap + a catnap.  My DD is on a 3hr easy, if you are saying she requires 2 or 3 naps for 2hr shouldn't she be on a 4 hr easy, but she is hungry every 3 hrs.   :?

The 45 mins I think you are referring to is at nightime not daytime.  She goes through the 45 min mark with no problem now in the daytime.  I'm so confused  :(
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 08:08:01 am »
Sorry I miss read about the naps in the day (my 2yo was hanging off me!)
At 15weeks she needs to be moving towards a 4hour Easy to help prevent the 45min wakings at night!
So she needs longer & less number of sleeps in the day, as the frequent day sleeps do impact night waking.
You can't take the book exactly, you need to Tweek it for each baby.
Re the Hunger, are you bf... just try to hold her out 10mins longer each feed. Hunger can also be a "habit" rather than total need at this age!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:01:25 am »
I'm bottle feeding so I will try to feed her 15 mins later every 2-3 days starting from tomorrow and see how that pans out. Hopefully that will be the end of the night wakings and she will take more from each feed. Thank you for being so helpful I really appreciate it.  I don't know what I do if it weren't for these message boards.  :D
Corrina
Mum to Faith