Author Topic: things getting worse can't seem to get anything right!!  (Read 1157 times)

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
things getting worse can't seem to get anything right!!
« on: October 03, 2005, 10:25:07 am »
My DS is 2months he recently had his injections and has been chewing on his hand lately (does anyone know why, can't be teething this young. Can he?).Lately nap times seem to be so difficult they started going down hill when for some reason when I put him down he started shouting (yes shouting not crying) into his muslin square he likes to hold ( i gave it to him initially to block out visual stimulation). He was kind of burying his head in it and shouting. In the begining I thoought I would wait as he is not crying and see what happens, but he just seemed to go on so I put his dummy in his mouth and he would suck for a few min and fall asleep.

Things then got worse as he started crying as I put him down so I would pick him up comfort him and try to wind him down but none of these tecniques seem to work for me he hates pat/shh (always has done I think it over stimulates him) and when I try to wind down with him he just gets really upset when I put him down no matter at what stage I do it.  Now todayhe seemed to be getting over tired as I could not put him down succesfully so for some reason the first time ever I laid him on his tummy and everso gently tapped him on his back and them just rested my hand on his back. He seemed to gently fall asleep within a couple of min.

Now I know babies aren't aloud to sleep on there tummies so I stayed near him untill he looked like he was in a deep sleepand gently turned him on to his side. Luckily he did not wake. But I know this is not the solution to his sleeping tantrums. I need help what am I doing wrong why does my LO hate sleeping all of a sudden he never used to be like this. :(  :(

some advice would be great I would love to get back on track I don't want my LO to resent nap times.

Offline Eden's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 12:27:37 pm »
I would just like to say you have described my son exactly!!!!! :shock:

I think he chews his hand as a self pacicying thing as he hasn't quite found his thumb yet. he seems to scuk or chew his hand, and any material he can get hold of like a muslin or the sheet of the cot.

we foudn he would only settle on his tummy about a month ago and have given in on that one. He settles beautifully if we literally plonk him in his cot on his tummy and walk out, no matter how much he is screaming he will always settle himslef from that but if we trya nd ocmfort him he gets woudn up. Today for example he was fussing nd i didn't want him to go to bed yet as it would have messed up the whole day, so i cuddled him for a while. you would hav thought i was trying to murder him the screming that he did ! he strained and fought and yelled until i gave in, nd within minutesof bing put down he was asleep.!

he doesn't settle with pat sh either it definatel over stimulates him. he doesn't like any kind of stimulation when trying to sleep and if he is struggling int he night we make it worse by going to him if there is nothing wrong.

I can't be much help except to say i'm there with you on some of those things you mention. He had his injections last friday and that has put him right out. he had had a fab week last week right up until that point and was in a routine, but after that he has been all over the place and particularly struggly. He won't feed properly at the mometn either, i don't know if you ahve that too. he keeps bobbing on and off the breast or bottle and fussing, struggling and crying. then is hungry again before his next feed woud normallly be due. Who knows withthese wee ones. I don't think he is ill though i think he just needs consistently to be reinforced with all the things we usually do and he will settle abck down again.
Clare
Eden:

Noah:

Jude:

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 15:08:24 pm »
Wow it's sounds like we're passing through the same difficulties I did'n't mention every thing because I thought the post would be too long :) . Travis was an angel before I took him for his injections now everyhting seems to be out of wack :?  and I feel like i've got it all wrong.  It's so reasuring to hear that it's not my fault :wink: He doesn'nt want to eat properly or at the right time and then an half an hour or an hour later he's starving!! It seems he doesn't know what he wants :shock:

Do you leave him on his tummy or turn him over when he's asleep? today I found he only needs to go down this way when he's over tired.(I Think :? ) I don't really know much for sure these day's it seems just when I think I've got it all down somthing comes along and turns everything potty :?  :shock:

By the way clare how mny times do you feed your LO at night? Do you dreem feed?

Thanks for the reply it's a weight off my sholders keep in touch :wink: