Author Topic: Unusual resettling problem and night wakings  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Clairet

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Unusual resettling problem and night wakings
« on: October 03, 2005, 11:47:03 am »
Hi

I am new to this forum, so first of all hello!

I really hope someone is able to help - I am so confused.

DD is now 3.5 months old and she is able to self settle some of the time. She will usually go to sleep in her cot happily as long as the room is dark, she is swaddled and I put her to bed before she gets too overtired. Occsionally we will have to resort to a bit of a rock and a dummy.

I really have two dilemmas. The first is that she will not nap in the day for more than 45 mins - 1 hour (I am guessing only one sleep cycle). I manage to get her down for 4 naps a day so her lunchtime nap tends to be broken into two. I have tried to help her re-settle but she just goes bananas and won't go back down. She does not want feeding either  :?

The second issue is that she will go to bed so easily at 6.30pm. She will then wake between 10 and 11 for a late feed (perfect) but then gets up at between 2 and 3am and then again at 4.30am. She will then wake for the day anytime from 6am - again I have tried to resettle her during those wakings but the only way at night is to feed her.

I am guessing she is able to resettle herself during her longer sleep times but for some reason she is waking at the other times - is it habit??

Me Claire - 28
DH Kenny - 26
DD Emily - 16.06.05 :)

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
Unusual resettling problem and night wakings
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 19:15:41 pm »
Hi Claire,

Is your dd on EASY?  If so, for how long?  It sounds like your dd is having night wakings due to habit.  She wakes at the same time each night and at this age, she is able to go much longer than 2 hours between feedings at night.  I would suggest using pick up / put down with her for the night wakings.  There is a great sleep interview that goes into detail about it at the top of this forum and also Tracy's new book goes into great detail as well.  you can also visiti the pu/pd board for advice.

As far as the naps, that's par for the course at this stage.  There is some good advice on the naps board you can check out for overcoming 45 minute naps.  Good luck!
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06