Author Topic: fast for baby/slow for pump  (Read 1703 times)

Offline wes' mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
fast for baby/slow for pump
« on: October 03, 2005, 14:20:41 pm »
Hi!  I'm a working mom trying to keep breastfeeding my son.  Things have been going fine until recently.  I can't seem to get anything when I pump.  Whenever my son nurses, it's almost as if he's gulping fast in order to get the milk down because of the flow.  Then when I go to pump, I might get 1 oz. if I'm lucky. 
For instance, just the other day he only ate on the right side.  Immediately after he was done, I pumped the other side and only got 1 oz.!  I didn't pump while I was nursing, because he usually eats on both sides.  What gives????  I know he's eating more than 1 oz. on the other side!  When I finally do get enough to pump a bottle for a dreamfeed or daycare he is eating 5 oz. 
I'm really getting worried that my supply might run out.  I'm not able to go nurse him every 3-4 hours while I'm at work.  I really want to keep nursing, but my freezer supply is low.  Only 3 small bags left!!!!  I don't want to supplement with formula! 
I've already started pumping an hour after his nursing sessions, but it doesn't seem to have helped.  (I started this 5 days ago)  Any suggestions??
Thank you!!
Chersten

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 15:08:00 pm »
OK, please disregard this post if you've already looked into this, but have you taken apart your pump, boiled all the boilable parts and put it back together carefully?  I always sterilize mine after each use, but I didn't realize that a piece of it wasn't snapped on as tightly as it needed to be.  (I had gotten really annoyed that it wasn't working like it should, and then I did this and it works beautifully again!)  Also, most pumps seem to have parts that wear out a bit and you can get replacements.

I'm not sure if this will help you at all, but thought it was worth a mention.

Offline Garrett's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 20:45:18 pm »
I am having the same problem. I actually came on today to ask the same question. I feel like I am pumping all the time and I am getting 2-3 oz total each session. I pump while I am at work. 10:00 am, 12:30 pm, and then again at 2:45pm. The first pumping session I get about 5 oz total both breasts, then the last two I get about 3 oz total both breasts. At daycare he is eating 4-5 oz three times a day, and then 2-3 oz about an hour and a half before I get home. Each time I pump, I pump an extra 5 minutes longer after the milk stops coming. I have been supplementing with formula as needed. I just hate to continue that though. I have a Medela pump in style (double) that I purchased just a month ago - It is working fine. I have been taking Fenugreek capsules, and drinking organic Mother's Milk tea. I have thought about trying to drink a beer every once in a while, but I really dont want to go that route. Does any one have any ideas how to pick my milk supplies up??  I am not ready to give up!!!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 00:04:56 am »
You might want to check out this link:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html

It talks about pumping and ways to increase your output when you pump.  See if any of those suggestions fit for either of you.

A few points to emphasize though:
- pumps are NOT as efficient as a baby, so you often have to pump an extra time (or sometimes more) than you would nurse.
- any supplementing with formula will end up decreasing your overall supply because it tells your breasts not to produce that much.
- watch for growth spurts - you might have a hard time keeping up for the short term, but it will let up soon.
- pumping can be stressful!  But TRY to relax.  Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to watch the dribble come out and the flow slow down when you know you need just a few more ounces... Make sure you're taking care of yourself - there are a number of ways to increase your overall supply - sounds like you're both trying a bunch of them - might need a bit more time though.

Let me know if you have more questions after reading the link - I'll see what else I can come up with!  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline wes' mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 00:52:29 am »
I did try a beer and it doesn't work.  I'm not sure if you're supposed to have one every night and then it works after a certain number of days, or what.  It is definitely frustrating though!!!  I have been really stressed out lately, due to a new job with lots of training and testing.  I just finished my last test today, so I'm hoping it will get better. 
When I was at my daycare nursing the other day, one of the other moms said she actually had to get up in the middle of the night to nurse!!!!  I definitely do not want to do that!!!!!  I'm hoping that the transition to the 4-hour schedule will help as well.  That way I won't have to leave as many bottles at daycare. 
One more thing, I had to thaw out a bag today for a bottle and when I took it out of the warm water......it was leaking!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:   Not something you want to see when you're so desperate to get an ounce.  I'll be double bagging from now on!!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 01:29:15 am »
Hey Wes'mom, how old is your baby? And how many times are you pumping while at work?

I notice a significant change in my yield pumping when I drink a ton of water and eat properly. My doctor mentioned to me a few weeks ago that I am dehydrated, no wonder my supply problems.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 02:35:04 am »
With ds #1 I used ot pump at work with another girl, if we did it together & talked about our lo's we got heaps more than when we did it on our own!
Definitely drink heaps of water... did you know about 90% of all headaches are due to dehydration & about 50% of the western population spend most of their lives dehydrated... BF mothers who feed a baby about 4mo should be drinking 3-4 Litres (that is about 90-120 oz I think) of water a day & that is over & above all other drinks, but if you drink tea or coffee you should drink an extra glass for each cup. Most bf mothers drink about half that!

I have jsut had supply issues due to my ds being on a drip for 3 days & me not pumping (didn't think it would drop that quickly) anyway I pumped for 10mins after each feed (in the beginning I was dry pumping) & drank 2 glasses of water while I pumped... at the end of the 10mins I got about 30mls (1 oz ) more after nothing, as the water hydrated my body.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 00:31:38 am »
Did you know that by the time you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline wes' mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 01:11:17 am »
I definitely have to make myself drink more water.  I'm really bad about that.  I'll do that and hopefully see a change.  I'm sure I'll feel better too.  Thanks for all the advice!

Offline Garrett's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 14:38:41 pm »
Stress it probably one of my biggest problems. I am going to work on that.

Wes's mom I got one for you... While trying so hard to keep up with my little ones eating, while I was still at work, my husband pulled out my milk storage container and poured it into a bottle. It happened to be a Ventaire container and the bottom was not even on the bottle. So straight through 4 oz went onto the floor. First of all he got in trouble for trying to feed my son with a different kind of bottle. (he only gets Gerber beginners or Advent) Then a few days ago the same thing happened because he didnt screw the top on the bottle right.  For now on, I make the bottles and put it in the fridge.

I wish the best of luck to you in increasing your supply.

--The kellymom.com site really helped, thanks for the suggestion