Author Topic: age appropriate  (Read 1562 times)

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
age appropriate
« on: October 03, 2005, 15:08:50 pm »
Jency is now 3 months old.
How many hours should he be feeding and how many hours for awake time.

He usually eats every 3 hours and has 1.5 hours of awake time (except the afternoons are shaky).

The other day he had 2 hour wake times and did really well but that doesn't work with eating every 3 hours.

Plus he doesn't always seem hungry at all his feedings.  He will eat for 5 minutes and then pull off crying or pull on me or something so I will switch sides and then he will be happy for 5 minutes and then he does the samething.  After that he just doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

I've even tried feeding him in a semi dark room.  It didn't work.

Is this a sign of needing to go to 3.5 or 4 hours?
Is he too young for this?
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

stasztk

age appropriate
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 15:27:52 pm »
I've never had a strict schedule for my lo. I read her cries. Most of the time she is hungry every three and a half hours. Nut during a growth spurt she wants to eat every two hours.
hth

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
age appropriate
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 15:50:00 pm »
Since our babies are just a day apart and you have other kids and this is my first to you mind if I give you a BUNCH of questions?

#1-What should be the first thing I get down, nursing, napping, or night sleep?
     A. You have just read the nursing questions.
     B. 30-45 min naps.  (sometimes I can get them longer if he's in     
         the swing but like today that didn't even work).  He goes down to
         sleep like a pro it's the staying asleep part.  I have read the
         articles on the board but they don't seem to make sense (i need
         things spelled out).  This throws the whole EASY out the window.
     C. Do I need the dream feed?  He goes to bed around 8 and then we
         go to bed around 9.  then DH gets up for work at 5:30am.
     D. He wakes up to get up for the day around 7:30am but he is
         crying and grumpy (most of the time) and once he opens his eyes
         he is somewhat happy but keeps yawning so I know he didn't get
         enough sleep.
     E. How many night time feeds should he get and how long of a stretch
         should he go with out eating at the beginning?
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

stasztk

age appropriate
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 16:12:56 pm »
My best advice to you, sweetie, is to RELAX a little. Are all of things a real problem or do you feel they SHOULD be a problem? Not every baby is the same. They all need a routine that is tailored to meet that specific childs needs. My dd doesn't follow a strict routine, but I do keep it predictable for her. She is on easy and sometimes it does gets a little messed up, but we always make it back on track.
You will do fine. If you are not able to get anything done or he's excessivly fussy, you may have a problem. But based on what I've read he's a happy, healthy, normal baby.
Have you talked to a lactation consultant? They are an excellent resource. Let us know if you need help finding one.

Offline wes' mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
age appropriate
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 16:25:21 pm »
Hi!  I'm also the mom of a 3 month old.  I was having problems with my lo only taking 30-45 minute naps as well.  I bought Tracy's newest book the other day and it really helped.  When he was napping on Saturday, he woke up after only 30 minutes.  I had the monitor on, so I could hear him getting ready to crank up.  Instead of him getting into full blown cries, I went in to check.  It was funny because when I got in there, he looked up at me and gave me the sweetest smile like he was finished napping.  However, having just read that he should be napping at least 1-1.5 hours, I shushed, pat and put his paci back in.  I could see his little eyes were indeed still heavy.  After about 5 minutes he went back to sleep for another 45!  This happened again for his second nap of the day and even in the middle of the night last night. 
I was just sure he was getting plenty of sleep when he looked up at me smiling and cooing, but sure enough, what was in the book worked!! 
As for the nursing thing, I still have problems with that!!  He does eat every 3 hours and has a dreamfeed, but he still pinches lots when he eats!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
age appropriate
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 18:29:36 pm »
Is there any current message posts for babies about his age? I know they can be a tremendous help to first time moms, to ask questions and get support. You could always start one in the Lounge if you can't find one already going. "For moms of babies born ____________"
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline alligirl

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
age appropriate
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 19:14:49 pm »
Here's a chat going on of moms for June/July 05 babies.  It's been going on for  a while and it may help you understand what's going on with babies the same age as yours.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/june-july-05-moms-chat-vt36932.html

Feel free to jump in!
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09