Author Topic: Nursing Strike  (Read 1087 times)

Offline SEP's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 03, 2005, 15:25:18 pm »
Has anyone experienced a nursing strike?  My 9 month old son is sick with a sore throat and is also teething.  DS hasn't nursed in 3 days.  As soon as I begin to lay him into position he starts crying.  With not feeling well, he's very touchy right now and the simplest thing sets him off.  He is not at all himself.  I'm pumping, but am concerned if he keeps this up I'm going to lose my supply.  All I get is 12-16 ounces a day.  He's only drank from the bottle once and we've had recent success with a sippy cup, the rest of the time we use a syringe.  What he doesn't drink I put in his food (although a fair amount has gone down the drain/into the garbage too).  We went to the doctor and he said to expect the sore throat to last 1-2 weeks.  He figured with giving an anti-inflammatory he would be comfortable drinking, but he isn't.  Any advice.  Thanks.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Nursing Strike
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 18:34:42 pm »
My ds nursing strikes when he teethes too. You are doing everything right - pumping when he refuses, continued offering of the breast, trying to get the bm into him with a sippy and in his solids.

Other things to try - nursing him laying down or in any other position. Nursing him standing up/walking around (or at least getting him to start nursing and then sit down). Nursing him when he is sleepy - either before a nap or as soon as he wakes up.

If he continues to be in pain, listen to your mommy instinct and take him back to the doctor. Is it strep? Is it his ears? Can you give Motrin/Tylenol alternating to give him more relief? Etc thos are the questions I would ask the doc. For the doc to say "he's going to be like this for 2 weeks" is kinda rude ...
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies