Author Topic: Not taking from the breast  (Read 1285 times)

Offline firstborn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 03, 2005, 16:32:55 pm »
Hi,

Recently my son has started giving trouble breastfeeding.  He is 5.5 months old and teething.  We only gave him the bottle when I couldn't be home to feed him and it was usually breast milk.  However recently I have had trouble  expressing enough for when he is away so have started giving formula.  We figured that part of the reason he was waking at night was he wasn't getting enough food.  Just over the weekend we have started supplementing his feeds with 2oz of formula, but now it seems as though he doesn't want to breastfeed as he comes off the breast often but then finishes the bottle with no trouble.  Could he be ready to be weaned?  Is this a nursing strike?  Should I continue to try breastfeeding or should I go to formula completely?  I feel bad that he may not have been getting enough food from me but at least he is getting food now.  Could this be a sign that he is ready for solids?

Sorry I know there are a lot of questions but I am so confused.

Thanks,

Kim

annamum

Not taking from the breast
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 23:26:17 pm »
Hi,

Babies under one year old almost never wean themselves, they may go on nursing strike or just simply prefer the faster flow of milk from the bottle.

If you supplement with formula it is quite normal that your supply will suffer because of this. The rule is simple, you are sending your body a message that less milk needs to be produced as your son is getting fewer breastfeeds. Demand=supply.

I understand that you might have had problems with expressing when you are away from him because baby is much better at expressing your milk than a breast pump. And if you have started working, you are probably under stress, are more tired and so on. These all are factors that influence milk supply.

It really depends on you, how determined you are to keep him only on breastmilk vs formula. You might work on increasing your supply by offering him to nurse more often (the best way), drinking a lot of water, taking Fenugreek, this is a herb known for increasing milk supply.
He is almost 6 months old, soon you will be able to offer him some solids, so if you are concerned that he needs more food, you will have some solids to offer him. If you want to stick to breastfeeding, try to decrease use of bottles and increase the amount of breastfeedings. He probably prefers bottles now as he realized he needs no effort to get his milk out of them. Also, if you already give him one, offer one with a slow flow nipple, that way he will have to work harder to eat.

I always strongly recommend nursing if possible. If you can't commit yourself to 100% breastfeeding, try to keep at least some of his nursings, breast milk is so much better for him than formula. Keep in mind that the more formula you use the lesser milk supply you will have.

If you want more info on increasing your supply let me know.

Offline corderh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Not taking from the breast
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 13:30:08 pm »
I would also suggest to use a slow flow teet on the bottle to make it harder to drink.
When my first one went to nursery I started expressing so she was on the breast morning and evening and had breastmilk with a #2 teet during the day. This worked great for 2 to 3 months and then she had the breast morning and evening and formula in nursery until 11 months.
Regarding time to express morning is a good time and you can do it before feeding if you express one breast and feed from the other alternating each day.
When I express I try and find a quiet place and think of my baby when I do it. I works for me. If it does not come too quick I also wet  my finger and tease the other nipple.

hope this helps.
Helene Corder