Author Topic: OK to Sleep in Car Seat/Swing During a Cold?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
OK to Sleep in Car Seat/Swing During a Cold?
« on: October 03, 2005, 16:59:47 pm »
My sweet Marisa (7.5 weeks) has had a cold since Friday night/Saturday morning. No fever - just stuffy and runny nose, coughing, sneezing, etc. She is seeing the doctor anyway on Wednesday for her normal checkup.

During the night she has been sleeping pretty well in her crib (on incline) but she is having a hard time napping in there during the day - she keeps waking up coughing and sneezing. Is it OK to let her nap in her car seat or swing since they keep her more upright and able to breathe? I don't want her to get used to only sleeping in them, but she does need to be able to sleep to get better!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 17:15:05 pm »
I say yes - when they are ill, most mom's stop sleep training until they are better.

Do what makes your baby the most comfortable until she's better!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline snugbug

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:34:05 am »
I just talked to a pediatrician about this on the weekend...and she told me that it was absolutely okay. You just have to make sure that their heads are supported and not slumping over (ie., don't put anything behind his/her head - just a couple of rolled up facecloths on either side to keep the head straight).

Good luck!

Christine

Offline bheemeryck

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 02:11:33 am »
We did the same thing- I also used Eucalyptus oil in a diffuser (the littel metal or ceramic dishes with a candle underneath) in my lo's room, seemed to help keep his little nose clear. I think Johnson's also has a vapor cream you can rub on their chest that has eucalyptus in it, but I don't think that an infant's delicate skin would like it?
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)