Author Topic: nap problems... when to extend wake time?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline mommyof2boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
nap problems... when to extend wake time?
« on: October 03, 2005, 18:22:45 pm »
My little man will be 8 weeks on Wednesday.  We've had really good naps for the last 2 weeks, with a schedule something like this:

7:15 am wake and eat and play
8 am nap
10am wake and eat and play
10:55am nap
12:30 wake and eat and play
1:25 nap
3:30 or 4 wake and eat and play
possible catnap at 4:30 or 5
To bed around 6:30 or 7
DF at 9:30
one feeding around 3:30

Anyway, he's been having some trouble with that second nap at 11am ish (fussing when going down, waking a bit early).  I don't know if I'm keeping him up too long or not long enough!  His cues are really hard to read and not terribly reliable.  Sometimes he'll yawn 10 min. after being up, then again at 20, and so on ... other times he'll not yawn at all.  Either way he'll be perfectly happy.

So, I guess my question is:  does anyone else have this problem?

And also (and probably most importantly):  When is it time to begin to "stretch" waketime?  I know that all babies are different and it's important to follow their own cues, but can anyone give me an general guidline of proper waketimes for this age, and when to start stretching?

Thanks so much!
mommy of Graham--August 10, 2005
mommy of Bennett--January 30,2003

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
nap problems... when to extend wake time?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 20:54:57 pm »
Under 3 months of age, I don't recommend stretching the awake time. Right now, I would concentrate of his awake time--keeping it short, some newborns can only handle a brief period of awake time and will overtire quickly. As you mentioned, every child is different, so it's hard to put a time limit on it.  But, right now, I would look at his day as awake time and sleep time. Catch him on the first yawn.. especially if his second nap is a harder one for him to go down.

It takes time, practice and patience. It will come.  Don't focus on the time, just focus on his body language and cues.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004