Author Topic: Help! 10 month old awake every hour with teeth  (Read 1124 times)

Offline kelbel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! 10 month old awake every hour with teeth
« on: October 04, 2005, 00:23:02 am »
Hi Everyone,

I'm really new here but have been lurking around the boards a bit, trying to make sense of ehat my 10 month old is up to all night. He has always been a great sleeper at night but in the last few nights he has been waking, screaming and will not resettle until he is picked up.

He is cutting teeth and one came through last night. I have given him both homeopathic and pain relief medication but it seems to make no difference.

I was wondering at what point does the picking up become a habit and how else can I calm him without picking up. He will just scream and scream, patting shhing etc just don't work with my spirited one.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
KelBel

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 13:07:56 pm »
Hi KelBel!  Welcome!

I just went through a 3 week teething nightmare with my dd.  We did a lot of rocking, nurisng and other stuff to get to sleep...but after 3 weeks I felt I was creating a big mess and not doing either of us any future favors, so I went back to Pick Up/Put Down and now we are back on track.

I did find Infants Advil to be the most effective.

Does he suck his thumb or pacifier?  Sucking can be painful/uncomfortable for them if that is how they were resettling themselves.  I would give the oral gel to my dd right before nap or bed to numb it for a little bit so she could suck her thumb.

Picking up is important because if he's in pain he needs to know you're there.  He's probably exhausted and frustrated with himself since he knows how to sleep on his own.   Are you familiar with PU/PD technique?

The good news is that he WILL go back. I thought after 3 weeks of this my dd would never go back to being the wonderful sleeper she was but she did!  As soon as the teeth were half way up she seemed to catch on that these things are here to stay :wink:

Post as much as you need!  We're here to help!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline kelbel

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 21:59:37 pm »
Thanks Branwen for your welcome. Would you believe that DS slept through last night!!! Well he woke twice for a little cry but I didn't go straight into him and he was back asleep within a couple of minutes.

I should know, DS being my second child to trust them. I thought I learnt this lesson with my DD. Whenever she went through a rough patch she would always resettle easily soon after. I have never used Pu/PD because he has always settled himself pretty easily. We were always pretty firm about him going down awake and sleeping in his own bed. But we have on the other hand always picked him up for reassurance when he was sick. Hence my concern over the last few nights habit of him only settling when picked up.

So much worry over nothing. Anyway, thanks for your help. I think this website is fantastic. So much to take in, but a wonderful place for mums like me to come and get advice and the support we all need.

See you around.
KelBel

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 23:51:55 pm »
YAY! That is great! :D Again, we're all around if you need us!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline nestor

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 01:13:10 am »
Hi KelBel! Welcome!

I agree with branwen, you have to be patient and try to be there for your little one. I know it is hard I went through the same things with my baby. She has been on EASY since three months and she is an angel and textbook baby so things were great untill we started to travel  and she was sleeping in different places. When we got back home I had two weeks of nightmear. She was histerical in the night would wake up often. I thought that it was b/c of traveling but guess what... few days later my husband noticed one tooth and two days later the second one came out.

She was 5 months so I thought that the teething part would be latter. Be strong it doesn't last for ever and ask for help b/c it can be so frustrating and crazy. I would actually cry sometimes b/c PU/PD wasn't working nor passy. But husband helped a lot so it is important to have someone.

Huggs,
Nestor

Quote (selected)
Code: [Select]
    [/list:u]