Author Topic: still trying to figure things out  (Read 1713 times)

Offline owensmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
still trying to figure things out
« on: October 04, 2005, 00:24:13 am »
Code: [Select]
Gracekellysmom thank you for replying to my allergy question on the other board! I needed the encouraging words, breastfeeding has been going so well I really don't want to stop.

Since I read your reply I spoke to my son's dr. regarding my new diet. He suggested that I only eliminate true diary ( milk, cheese, yougurt, etc.)for the 2 weeks.  What are your thoughts???

I saw a list of foods that I can eat. Thank you so much for the info. I am stuck trying to cook meals.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 01:24:22 am »
It is really up to you and your baby's doctor how serious you think this is and what other factors are involved. It can be tough to figure out what you've eaten has bothered them so bad. For example, I have a friend who thought her lo might have a milk problem, but she did a food journal and found out it was melon that was bothering the baby, not milk.  :?

How is your ds now, a few days later? Is there still visable blood in the stool? Did your doctor give you any stool cards to take samples for testing for blood? Does your ds show any other symptoms of milk intolerance (fussy, gas, hard time sleeping/relaxing)?

Giving it a couple weeks is not a bad thing at all. If you notice more severe symptoms, definately see the doctor sooner. I am interested to see your response to "does he show any other symptoms".
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline owensmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
Update
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 23:32:36 pm »
As always when it rains it pours. Owen came down with his first cold on Sunday so his sleeping schedule is a little off. However, everything else seems to be normal. He is not very comfortable sleeping/lying down but I'm pretty sure that is because he is so stuffy and having a hard time breathing through his nose. Otherwise during play time he seems fine, even when he's playing on his back. Everything has seemed normal even on the first day we noticed the blood.

The only other time I noticed anything unusual was early on. For the first few weeks he would wake up screaming until he had a bowl movement from naps and bed time. The dr. office then thought it was a milk allergy but as soon as I stopped taking my iron supp. and prenatal vit. he stopped doing that right away. The Nurse said that it was probably too much iron.

The dr. did not give me a test kit. Is it true that you can purchse one at a drug store? We saw 1 diaper with a little blood on Sunday. That was the first one since Thursday. The dr. said that the blood is still there just too small to see. I would like to test it myself to see if that is true. On Saturday my husband had to give him a bottle from a few weeks ago. I had a reserve drill weekend and did not have enough new milk for the whole day. Sunday I believe it was all new milk.

Thank you so much for your help

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 00:54:15 am »
Most of the time I see moms with babies with true milk allergies have visable blood in the stools. Intolerances usually have microscopic blood, that's what ours was. The stool card was easy to do, I just took it to the docs office and they called a few hours later. I was elimating dairy and then soy, until finally he was negative for blood, meaning things were healing up. Allergies/intolerances can get worse over time, with more exposure.

See how you do over the next couple weeks with no dairy. Try to eliminate as much as you can. Ask the doc to do a stool sample. Then slowly add stuff back if the sample is negative, and get retested.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline owensmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
we found 1 common thing
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 23:30:50 pm »
Ok I think I found 1 common thread to the blood in the diaper. It is only happening on the days my son has bottles.

I worked today and when I got home I saw a little blood in his diaper. I thought it was just a coincidence that the first 2 were on days that my husband was home and giving him bottles but it happened again today. (I should say that my husband is almost too gentle with Owen. I have to beg him to take owen to church on my coast guard weekends. He hasn't reached the point yet that he will take our son out (except to a friends house once, so I know that the blood is not from physical harm.) However, the bloody diapers only happen when he has bottles:
Here is a quick review

Last Wed, 1st blood was at the around 3:00pm, bottles that whole day, I did see more blood at 6:00am and 9:00am the following day.

Sunday, 2nd blood, Bottles all day Saturday and Sunday

Today, 3 bottles, blood in the 5:00 diaper.

I wash my pump and bottles in the dishwater. Could it be the water or the detergent? I also just recently ( last week or so) started to drink more straight tap water. Our filter needs to be changed. My neighbor said that the water is being treated more often with Chlorine. Could this be the problem and not milk??

Thank you again for your help!

I left a mess for my Dr. to call me tomorrow. I will let you know what he says.

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:29:45 am »
Is your husband supplementing with anything? Have you questioned him to make sure he hasn't given baby anything - anything?? (I read from a mom once who left her 3 month old with Grandma and the baby got bananas without permission)

I would definately sterilize my pump parts and bottles either in the dishwasher, sterilizer, or by boiling them. Make sure to take precautions with storing the milk properly. But I can't see how these things would cause the bloody stools.

LOL and Hugs, my poor dh is clueless with our kids too. He manages ok but acts helpless so I don't leave him too often.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 19:05:06 pm »
Just a thought, what are the bottle teats made from?

Sara