Author Topic: Is it time?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline shem2005

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 04, 2005, 01:29:37 am »
My daughter is now 4 months. She has started to catnap on some of her naps (random). She is usually awake for about 1 hr 30 mins only. Do you think it is time to stretch her out?

I have stretched her out to 1 hr 30 mins about 2 weeks ago and it is still a struggle to keep her awake that long. I thought after about 3 days they got use to that time awake and adjusted.

Should i stretch her out another 10 minutes over the next week? Should i do it for the first awake period only or all of them?

I have also heard a lot of babies have a shorter awake time in the mornings - should i take this into account?

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Is it time?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 02:25:05 am »
Correct on both accounts if your lo is taking 45 min naps. Usually that's a telltale sign of it.

At around 4 months seems to be the heart of the daysleep organization. What you do is extend awake time by 10-15 mins over the course of a few weeks until she's up to 2 hours.

And yeah, mornings you have shorter waking periods. Part of the reason for this is because the morning nap is (in theory according to research) an extension of night time sleep, because you get the same sleep pattern (length wise of each cycle) in the nap as your early morning sleep period (between 4 and 6). So...if you're putting your lo down at 1:45, you can probably put her down at maybe between 1:30 and 1:35, perhaps even a little earlier, and get a good 1.5-2 hour nap. 

However, because day sleep is developing, I wouldn't bank on getting long naps for awhile on a consistant basis no matter what you do unless your lo pretty much sails right through it (you'd be the envy of a lot of moms!). It usually takes 3 weeks or so to sort itself out.

Hope this helps!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005