Author Topic: Help - Can't get Tummy Sleeper to nap when out in pram?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Mrs Pickers

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Help - Can't get Tummy Sleeper to nap when out in pram?
« on: October 04, 2005, 16:05:20 pm »
Hi

My baby is 16 weeks old (touchy/spirited where sleep is concerned) and we are on the way to cracking independant sleep at home in the cot. She has always slept on her tummy and although we have tried to get her to sleep on her back it has never worked yet.

How on earth do I get her to sleep when we are out - I have tried putting her on her tummy in the pram but she just gets frustrated 'cos she wants to see what's going on. We have been out for the day today and she has not slept for 7 hours!!

Has anyone any suggestions/experience on this....

Thanks

Rosie

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 18:46:31 pm »
suggestions and experience yes... but probably not what you want to hear!  :D

my ds is very touchy... and at that age pretty much only slept at home.  heck, he's 8 months now and still only sleeps in his bed (whether at home or at the sitter's)  he's getting to the point where he will fall asleep in his car seat if he's tired enough.  he's never slept in the stroller.

going out is tricky - we pretty much have to schedule it around his awake time. 

the good news is, as they get older there is more awake time!  :lol:

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Mrs Pickers

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 21:13:13 pm »
Oh Dear!!

:roll:

Thanks for the info, roll on 8 months!!

On another subject, were you able to eventually put your LO down in the cot and walk away or do you still need to do calming down time etc?

Thanks

Rosie

Offline Jaime

• Administrator
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 22:06:20 pm »
well, that's a much happier answer!

it was right around 4 months that he finally started to "get it."  all that work with pat/shh started paying off and by the time he was 5 months, all i had to do was walk in, put him down, say good night, and walk out.   :D

course, now we're in the midst of separation anxiety, and he's balking again, but after several days i think we're starting to pull through.   :roll:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Mrs Pickers

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 16:33:37 pm »
Hiya

Hope you sorted out the seperation anxiety with Luke - sure you did as he already had the skills for sleep.

Beth is really battling the last nap of the day b4 feed and bath, managed to get her to nap today for the first time in 5 days! She seems to know now that the lullabys mean bed time and she will do anything not to go in that cot - Grrrrr! 

Do you think holding her for 5 mins is too long? It sometimes seems to get her even more worked up. I can't seem to get her calm enough now in the afternoon to put her in the cot without a full scale screaming marathon. Today took 2 hours to get her to nap (with a 15 min break cos I'd had enough!)

Hope all okay with you guys

Rosie

Offline Jaime

• Administrator
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 19:15:43 pm »
thanks for asking! we're mostly through it - he's fighting me a bit today but we had to do a lot of errands so he didn't get as much playtime as he usually does.

i think somedays it bugs them an awful lot to be held.  there are times when luke just seems to be saying "toss me in the bed already!"   :lol:

i think you need to go with your gut instinct - if you think that's what Beth is saying, follow it.  and as always, comfort her if she cries.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy