Author Topic: Post Breastfeeding Depression??  (Read 1684 times)

Offline bheemeryck

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Post Breastfeeding Depression??
« on: October 04, 2005, 16:29:23 pm »
The day has finally come, my ds and I are finished with breastfeeding.  :( I've had a really hard time with letting go of this, Alex is only 8 months and I had planned on breastfeeding for his first year, but he's pretty much weaned himself. We were still doing one feeding a day, but at my doctor's appointment yesterday I mentioned I'd been feeling very down and not myself, and the doctor suggested I finish breastfeeding totally, to help get my hormones back on track. Has anyone else experienced this crazy hormone stuff towards the end of breastfeeding? None of my girlfriends seem to have gone through this, I know the first few months after a baby is born you go through an emotional roller coaster, but this is 8 months later... I miss feeling like myself!!
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 17:59:35 pm »
Oh yes, snap, me too, and I'm totally with you there!

We finished bf about 3 weeks ago, and I got soooo upset about it (I've written a post somewhere, but can't remember where - prob in the BF forum). My plan was to bf for at least a year, but hopefully more, but it just hasn't worked out that way. Ds decided that he much preferred bottles, and my supply has never been brilliant anyway.

I don't have much advice for you, as it still gives me a pang, but I wanted to say I've been through exactly what you were talking about.
Remember - you have done brilliantly when it comes to giving your lo a start in life - most women don't manage what you have done.

With regards to hormones, I wouldn't worry too much. They reckon it takes your body at least 9 months to return to normal after having a baby. Throw in bf, sleep deprivation and everything else that comes with having a newborn, I'd say more like a year! You're not the only one, and I've been told it does get better.

HTH
Caroline

Oh, found it!:

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/need-a-cyber-hug-vt40726.html?sid=96cc505669e4e0a6d8c07790981df91f
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline EmmasMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • http://www.vanvelzen.ca
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 18:05:07 pm »
Hi Becky,

First of all, congratulations on BF for 8 months, that's an accomplishment in itself! :)

I think your reaction is very normal. Unpleasant to go through but very common actually. ( I felt the same when I weaned DD#1 and remember other BW mom's at the time feeling the same way.)When you are weaning, your hormones are readjusting, it's a big change physically. Take extra care of yourself.
It's also bittersweet to see your baby groing up a little bit at  a time, isn't it ?
Celebrate how far you've come.

Hugs to you,
---
Isabelle, mother of Emma, Oct. 23, 2002 and Nicolas, Feb 14, 2005
"Family faces are magic mirrors. Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future."
--Gail Lumet Buckley

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 18:42:04 pm »
Yikes! I don't know if I agree with your doctor. But I don't know all the details involved with your life. And IMHO, keeping that nursing should make you feel better, not worse.

Yes, weaning can be a truly emotional process, whether the mom is ready for it or not. It does cause huge hormonal changes. You are missing the prolactin (happy hormone surges). IF you decide to completely wean, there are some things you can try to make yourself feel better. Exercise, eating well, drinking plenty of fluids, and napping if you can, those are all great for your body and will whip those hormones back into shape. Sunshine and a 30 min walk can sometimes turn my day around. What have you done for yourself lately? (Are you PMS-ing or could you be pregnant? - those both are different, and could cause these feelings, after you have a baby)

BUT nothing else is saying you have to wean. LLL says that babies don't self wean before a year old, and I believe it. 8 months is a very typical age for a baby to become less interested in nursing for a while. And if a mother, unwillingly or unknowingly, gives a bottle during this time it encourages the baby to "wean". Her supply decreases, baby is going through the independent stage, and too many moms and babies wean around 8-9 months.  :cry:

I agree, getting to 8 months is absolutely fantastic! Yes, what you are feeling about potential weaning is totally normal. (When I weaned dd I was sad for almost 2 weeks, but slowly started feeling better - and that was mutual weaning) If you want to work on anything (like getting back nursings), or keep that last feed as long as you want - then go ahead!!! You know you and your baby better than any of us or your doctor.

{hugs} and I hope you're feeling better soon...
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline bheemeryck

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 20:10:40 pm »
I wish I could agree with the LL about the not self -weaning thing... He gets excited to see the bottle warmer come out- so that sort of told me he was all for the bottle too :( !!  We've been strugging with getting him to take the breast for awhile, and I was so stressed out over him not eating enough, it was making me batty. I have agonized over this whole weaning decision for so long and honestly, my ds is just happier on a bottle. It was not for lack of trying on my part, but I thought that for my sanity and peace of mind, offering him a bottle was the best decision. So even though I kow I will miss bfing my son, it's been a great experience, and I have the next lo to look forward too (eventually).

I have been making extra efforts to get myself back into things I enjoy, I'm going to the gym, we walk probably at least an hour everyday, and my dh is great about me taking time for myself. So I'm confused about why I'm taking an emotional dive- but there's always tomorrow, and I suppose it won't last forever!!

Thanks for the support-  I'm still not sure about whether to take the doctors advice or not, I suppose it might be nice to get my regular bras back  :) !! We were only doing one feeding a day now anyway, I don't know if one feeding a day offered him anything that beneficial in terms of nutrients or not. It is VERY bittersweet to see him starting to grow up- I never thought would feel this way about bfing, how am I going to feel the first day of school? Ahhhh things to look forward to!!
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)

annamum

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 23:27:34 pm »
Yes, there are hormones involved in that. That's why I cry when I watch anything that relates to unhappy, abused or abandoned children. I wasn't like that before having Anna.

I think that this emotional rollercoaster will end up within a couple of weeks, you will probably need to wait for your milk to dry up to feel better, if you make such decision. GraceKellysmom is right, your levels of prolactin are going to diminish and that will make you feel somehow depressed.

One thing I learnt is that I will never again be the same woman I used to be. And it doesn't actually relate to the size of pants I am wearing, I am back to my pre-baby weight  :D. I am thinking of the way I see myself, not anymore a busy childless person, dressed in fashionable and sexy outfits  :lol: but a woman that has another person attached to herself, my baby :lol: . I don't take as much care about myself as I probably should. I am really glad that you are making an effort to keep yourself healthy and happy by finding new ways to stay fit and relax yourself. Walking is an excellent way to fight feeling-not-so-good moods.

I am sure you will find ways to overcome this and feel great soon.

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 00:47:07 am »
Just for clarification - self weaning is dropping the breastfeeds on his own. Mother-led weaning is when a bottle is offered instead of nursing. I don't think most moms intend to wean when they offer a bottle, it just happens.

I think you sound like you are doing a great job of taking care of you. Don't forget to do that - you need that break to be vitalized for your baby. Keep in mind the PMS thing - him nursing less will bring your cycles back if they haven't returned already.

Hmmmm - did I hear someone say "looking forward to the next lo"?  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:  Will I be seeing you on the pregnancy forum soon?  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline bheemeryck

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 20:48:54 pm »
Well, today has been a better day, and I'm feeling better about the bottle. I filled it this morning without feeling resentment towards a plastic inanimate object :? !! I suppose I will be better prepared next time- which we won't be doing for a few months, but thanks for the heads up on the pregnancy forum, when I get closer to that time I'll check it out... I'm afraid if I go now it'll make me change my mind about waiting till ds#1 is older!! Not quite sure I'm ready to go through all this again just yet, let's get through the first year first!! Thanks again for the feedback, it's really nice to have a place to ask questions and get this information, I would feel way more in the dark than I already feel without it!!

Hugs to you!!
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:06:17 am »
:wink:  Oh, I kwym about the pregnancy forum! If I weren't a moderator, I'd steer clear too!  :lol:
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 21:19:10 pm »
Hi Becky

Just to let you know that I fed for a while and my hormones have been all over the shop since giving up. I know that exercise and getting outdoors help to regulate them but I'm rubbish at making the time. You're doing the right thing getting out and about and taking care of yourself. Well done, you'll get those hormones in check very soon.

Sara