Author Topic: My baby is the worst eater!!! Help!  (Read 1121 times)

Offline tncmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 04, 2005, 17:23:10 pm »
I am in such unfamiliar territory because my DS (now 21 months) would suck down a full bottle, play happily and got down great for naps with a paci.  My DD (4 months) is totally opposite.  She never wants to eat!  She sleeps through the night so she does really well with the morning bottle which is usually 6 oz. but the rest of the day is terrible.  She will only drink maybe 3 oz at a time and then wants the other 3 oz to fall asleep.  This goes on all day.  I have tried to get her to just go to sleep with a paci but she is HUNGRY and guzzles it down.  What can I do to make her eat a full bottle at a feeding instead of this half and half stuff?  What can I do to help her go to sleep without the bottle?

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
My baby is the worst eater!!! Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 20:42:19 pm »
Hi

What flow teats/nipples are you using? It could be that the flow isn't fast enough and she's getting frustrated that the milk isn't coming quick enough. Let us know if this is the case, if not can you let us know your LOs schedule so we can get an idea of how much she's taking and when.

With regards the feeding to sleep it sounds like she's come to associate being fed with how to fall asleep. You need to teach her to go to sleep independantly and how to self soothe. This will we tough in the first week or so as you're changing the way you do things (which she IS going to object too) but if you stick with it and are consistent she'll soon get used to the new way.

For tips on how to get her to sleep without feeding check out the general sleep boards and the pick up/put down board. I'd also recommend reading Tracy's sleep interview which is a sticky at the top of one of those forums. If you put a post in the sleep board then you'll get plenty of advice from the ladies over there.

HTH

love
Marie