Author Topic: Okay - what should I do?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Okay - what should I do?
« on: October 04, 2005, 17:52:04 pm »
Caeden is getting up more at night..... usually once by 11:30-12:30ish and then again by 3:00ish and then 4:30-5:30ish and up by 6:30-7ish. It does cary night to night on the actual times, but once he is up is gets shorter and shorter between the next times up  :cry:
I am EBF and just within the last week or so have gotten very consistent on a 3-4 hour between feeds. He is going at least 3 hours, and has pushed closer to 4 numerous times, usually once a day. He will be 4 months old next week. And when I try and feed him sooner then 3 hours or so, he really doesn't eat as well and typically isn't "asking" for it until the 3 hour mark. He has also started napping better, usually get one sometimes 2 hour and a half naps, surrounded by the 45 minute ones.
Our day looks somewhat like this:

E - Wake & Eat (anywhere from 6:30-7:30)
A - Hour and a half - or slightly less, sometimes closer to an hour here
S - 45 minutes

E & A - Wakes and Plays till time to Eat and Plays after Eating - E is at 3 hours after last feed
S - An hour and half after last wake up
Sleeps at least 45 minutes, usually closer to an hour and is getting more and more regular at this being a consistent hour and a half nap

E - Wakes - and if it was a good nap usually eats right away, may wait a half hour or so sometimes
A - Up for at least an hour and a half - sometimes closer to 2 hours (esp if last nap was long!)
S - Usually just 45 minutes here (and in the stroller, I usually take my walk during this nap) - Occassionally this gets turned into a long nap if he transfer to car okay and I go do errands and he stays asleep! More often then not, it's just 45 minutes thought

E & A - 3 hours after last feed, A time either side of feed usually
S - Up for an hour and a half, sleeps for either 45 minutes or close to 2 hours - depends on how the rest of the day has been, his mood and what we are doing. If we are doing alot of running around, it is sometimes 2 shorter naps in the car

E & A - 3 hours after last feed, A time either side of feed, Up for an hour and a half
S - Usually can get a catnap here, 30-45 minutes, usually between 4:30-5:30 goes down for this nap

E - Typically soon after getting up he eats and then we play, or bathe, I will sometimes try and just give him one side when he first gets up and then the other an hour or so later after playing and bath, trying to get his tummy full
S - Typically goes down for the night between 6:30-7:30

We are doing good at the feeds being 3 hours, sometimes more apart and the time between naps is between 1 1/2 hours on average.
But he is getting up more at night now...... I noticed this starting about the time we started getting consistent with the feed routine and better naps. So I am thinking he is either not getting enough to eat during the day and making up for it at night or something else......? I am thinking we are working on teething as well, lots of chewing on things and drool. And I know that can affect sleep as well. He is nursing pretty typical of him when feeds during the day - usually about 10- 15 minutes long and usually from both sides. He does eat better when he first wakes up and when it has been at least 3 hours since the last feed.

When he gets up at night he nurses for 5-15 minutes and is back asleep and I can lay him down. Occassionally I think gas wakes him up at either the first time up or around 5:30ish cause he is often passing it or poops.
I don't really want to do PU/PD at this point cause it just makes him cry and get more worked up, I have tried the paci, but he doesn't want it and I haven't pushed it at night (he does go to sleep with it). We have a small house and I DH works long days and weeks and so I hate to wake him with a crying baby so I would love to get some improvement with night sleeping and not have to have hours of crying to do it. I have read Eliz Pantley's article on here and have kinda been trying to do this, but was concerned about maybe he is waking out of hunger and needs to eat.

So  - what do you think? Should I change anything? Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks - for listening, I know this is long but wanted to give you the big picture!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Okay - what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 17:58:50 pm »
i have been going through the exact same thing the last couple of weeks.  she sleeps well when i first put her down at about 7:30 till 11:30 - 12:00 then it is all over...and with each waking the time between lessens sometimes even every half hour!  i am going crazy too!!  don't know what it could be maybe teething but i too am paranoid she may be hungry so after sh/pat doesn't work and she doesn't settle herself i feed her, sometimes with good results proving she is hungry, sometimes not.  i am with ya...just at a loss right now!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
Okay - what should I do?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 18:03:05 pm »
Along the teething line.... the baby oragel says not to use under 4 months so I haven't yet. Any experience with this? I was going to try and see if it helped at all, if it was his teeth, but don't want to harm him if he is too young for it.....
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Okay - what should I do?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 21:34:25 pm »
what i was told about orajel by pharmacy and health nurses is that before 4 months they have a lot of saliva and that if u put too much in mouth and it doesn't end up on teeth it could be swallowed and then numb the throat, in which case baby could choke on saliva...very scary i thought.  they said that if u put a very  minimal amount at bedtime to help sleep it is ok but try not to...i have tried it a few times when lo just won't seem to calm down at all and it has seemed to have helped, although i don't know if it was helping soothe her gums or her just being shocked b/c she didn't have some feeling in her mouth.  try it out if u like, just be careful and don't use much!..a little does go a long way...try just a little in your mouth first and maybe u will feel more comfortable about the amount u give your lo.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Sylvana

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 03:03:27 am »
CaedensMama - If your LO was sleeping through the night before he may just be going through a growth spurt - just a thought. My little guy is now 23 weeks old and at 3 months old he was sleeping through the night (8pm to 6:30 am!) until he hit the 4 month growth spurt. Then for a couple of weeks he was waking at least 3 or 4 times a night to eat too. Then, just when he started to wake only once a night (I started using the paci to stop him waking so much because he began to just nurse for only 2 minutes a fall asleep which I realized wasn't hunger anymore) he got a terrible cold. He's now over the cold and has settled into a one wakup a night pattern where he eats and goes back to bed until morning. He goes down around 6-7 pm now, wakes around 1am to eat then back to sleep until (hopefully) 5:30 or 6.
Now my little one isn't a great napper and wakes early so I am hoping he will eventually get back to sleeping through the night.  Your daytime schedule sounds a lot like mine was at that age. - lots of naps but short ones and lots of feeds.
So my thoughts are just feed him if he's hungry as he might need it now, but watch for the wakings to becomea  habit (not as hungry) and then try to offer the paci for those times instead. Also the end of a growth spurt is marked by the baby sleeping a bit more for a couple of days (and if your breastfeeding - a bit fuller breasts for a day or so when they stop eating so much).
I wouldn't bother with the oragel as I doubt his gums are bothering him too much right now - my LO is drooling and chewing lots too but I think it's just pre-teething stuff.

Hope that helps.

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
Okay - what should I do?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 17:27:41 pm »
Okay - we were doing okay for a couple nights till last night.... but I think last night was my fault  :oops:  :oops:

We were gone most of the day yesterday - church, out to eat, then we went driving looking at some property. I fed Caeden at church at 10:30, slept for like 30 minutes after church and then was up for about an hour while we went out to eat. But since it had only been 2 hours since he ate, I didn't feed him. We went out driving and he fell asleep after about a half hour. Slept off and on while we drove around - for almost 3 hours. I wasn't really concerned cause he didn't sleep much in the morning naps and so a long afternoon was okay - besides since we were out if he wasn't asleep he tends to be a grump and cry alot in the car, so we were happy too. About 4:30 we were getting ready to stop and I thought "if Caeden wakes up, is it time for him to eat" and then realized I hadn't fed him since 10:30!!!!!! Ahhh - I hadn't even thought of it - am I bad or what? He woke up about 10 minutes later and ate when we stopped.... and then didn't eat again for 2 1/2 or 3 hours and then went to bed - so when he was up an extra time last night, I figured he was hungry
 :?  and then he was up at 4:30 and nursed and didn't go back to sleep. Good thing DH was up and couldn't sleep! He took him and I went back to bed, they played and DH put him down again about 6. He got at 7 and we started our day. So far - it's been good - one 45 min nap and he is sleeping now, has been for 45 minutes - so we will see how long.

Hopefully - it will be better this week!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
Okay - what should I do?
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 19:19:45 pm »
Okay - we have been up ALOT this week - 3-4 times a night...... any ideas?
We are teething...... will this affect it and should I just wait till this passes before trying anything else?
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)