Author Topic: wine and breastmilk  (Read 1405 times)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
wine and breastmilk
« on: October 04, 2005, 18:38:54 pm »
Hi! 

My son nurses at 6:45 pm and not again until 7 or 7:30 the next morn.  I'm going to a wine tasting party this weekend.....does anyone know how long the wine would stay in my system?  I would not be having more than 2 glasses (3 max) Would I need to pump and discard the milk when I get home around midnight?  He's 7 months old.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Zelka

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
wine and breastmilk
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 18:44:47 pm »
Here is what kellymom.com has to say about it. I really think it depends on the age of the baby, whether I would do it or not. Hope this helps.  :wink:

From Kellymom.com:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Guidelines
Current research says that occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) is not harmful to the nursing baby. Alcohol (ethanol) is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use in breastfeeding mothers.
Many experts recommend against drinking more than 1-2 drinks per week.
It is recommended that nursing moms avoid breastfeeding during and for 2-3 hours after drinking (Hale 2002).
There is no need to pump & dump milk after drinking alcohol, other than for mom's comfort -- pumping & dumping does not speed the elimination of alcohol from the milk.
Alcohol does not increase milk production, and has been shown to inhibit let-down and decrease milk production (see below).
If you're away from your baby, try to pump as often as baby usually nurses (this is to maintain milk supply, not because of the alcohol). At the very least, pump or hand express whenever you feel uncomfortably full - this will help you to avoid plugged ducts and mastitis.
In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom's blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom's body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

Always keep in mind the baby's age when considering the effect of alcohol. A newborn has a very immature liver, so minute amounts of alcohol would be more of a burden. Up until around 3 months of age, infants detoxify alcohol at around half the rate of an adult. An older baby or toddler can metabolize the alcohol more quickly.

Effects of alcohol on breastfeeding and the breastfed baby
Alcohol does not increase milk production. In fact, babies nurse more frequently but take in less milk in the 3-4 hours after mom has had a drink, and one study showed a 23% decrease in milk volume with one drink (Mennella & Beauchamp 1991, 1993; Mennella 1997, 1999).
2+ drinks may inhibit let-down (Coiro et al 1992; Cobo 1974).
One study showed changes in the infant's sleep-wake patterning after short-term exposure to small amounts of alcohol in breastmilk -- infants whose mothers were light drinkers slept less (Mennella & Gerrish 1998).
Daily consumption of alcohol has been shown in the research to increase the risk for slow weight gain in the infant.
Daily consumption of alcohol (1+ drinks daily) has been associated with a decrease in gross motor development (Little et al 1989).
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
wine and breastmilk
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 13:12:47 pm »
Thanks for the info!!!  Very helpful and much appreciated!!!