Author Topic: Low sleep by day and night  (Read 928 times)

Offline gwillia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 04, 2005, 19:11:40 pm »
Hello,

I hope somebody can give some advice to our situation.

Our daughter is 7 months and is now sleeping in her room. She has never been a great day time sleeper, sometimes only sleeping for 2 15 mins during the day. However, this seems to be all she needs and is very happy on it.

Up until 3 weeks ago, she would sleep most of the night...from 7:30pm to 7:30 am without the need for a feed. She recently cut her first teeth and the night time sleeping has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. She now wakes at 12-2and again at around 5. We try and settle her for 1-2 hours but this never seems to work. The only way seems to be feeding her out of desperation. It started where she would finish the bottle, but now she doesn't even take half of it so we are sure that she is not hungry but just needs it to go back to sleep. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Low sleep by day and night
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 22:46:41 pm »
I think she has got to the stage of absolute chonic overtirednes & infact insomnia... if she has been surviving on 2 x15mins day sleep for all her life, she actually is lucky to have a personality such that she doesn't show she is tired. My #1 son always has bad night sleep if he has a few days  with bad day/no sleep.
I think you need to get her sleeping longer in the day to help the night sleep.
my #2 son actually has only been upset due to tiredness twice in his life & can be happy when he is actually very overtired, just his nature. So I never let him go more than 2 hours even if he doesn't show he is tired. In some babies being happy doesn't mean they are well rested, it can mean they have good adrenalin reactions & perk up, not shut down.

Also her long night sleeps have probably been through sheer exhaustion & now the wakings occur as her body can better cope with long awake periods & the fact she may not have developed good re-settling skills is coming to the surface.
How does she fall asleep for naps/bedtime?
What is her "average day time nap'?
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05