Author Topic: 15 weeks old and NO LONGER SLEEPS can anyone tell me why?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline alison toms mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
15 weeks old and NO LONGER SLEEPS can anyone tell me why?
« on: October 05, 2005, 05:54:38 am »
DS woke 7 times lasst night between 8pm and 5.30am (when i finally gave up and got out of bed for day!!)

Tom was sleeping through the night until about 4 weeks ago, then he started waking some nights once or twice, it is now every night between 2 times (a good nght) and 7 times (last night!!). He is on 3 hr easy, and we have recently taught him to fall assleep in his own bed and moved his bedtime to 8pm rather than 9pm.

At first we thought his night wakings were a temporary problem due to making these changes, but things have got worse rather than better with time. DS use to have 2 1.5 hr naps a day 1 1hr nap and sometimes a 45min catnap.... hes never needed as much sleep as many babies and always seemed happy and awake between these naps. He still falls asleep at around the same time, but now tends to wake after 45 mins.If hes a bit grumpy i can usually pat hiom back to sleep, but often hes awake and smiling, then there is no chance as he is just not tgired anymore.

Tom also has a type of reflux (called pyloric stenosis) and so sometimes wakes in pain crying! :cry:
I haven't changed his activities, so he shouldn't be over stimulated, he doesnt seem to be waking due to hunger as he only eats 4 oz or so when he wakes at 6am, and gets a good 30 or so oz of "hungry baby" milk during the day.
DH teithed young so i supose he could be teething (athough no red cheeks etc).

Do you think he needs to move onto a 4 hr easy schedule? is 15 weeks to young to do this, i suspect 2 1.5 hr naps would be better for him than 4 45min naps (like he gets now). How would this work with his reflux, could his tummy handle bigger meals further apart?

Please help, im really frustrated, i had so many problems BF, ive finally given in and given up , feeding has stopped being a fight, and now HE WONT SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

ANY help would be great
Alison

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 06:23:56 am »
I think the longer times between feeds would help.
How is he falling asleep? does he use a paci... this may have become a prop.
If he is 45min napping that tells me he can't re-settle into the next sleep cycle, which is why he is waking so often at night.
I also think even though you say he is happy when he is awake...he is actually overtired when he gets to bed at night & that will cause more waking. My ds#2 almost never gets grumpy, but I know that if he is awake longer than 2 hours (sometimes 1.45) he is very hard to settle as he has got overtired, even if he is seeming to be happy...just because a baby wakes up happy it doesn't always mean they have had enough sleep.
I would work on getting 3 day sleeps 2 x 2 hours & one cat nap into the day & that should help your night sleep, as you could be sure he is not going to bed over tired.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 21:35:00 pm »
Jency is the same way!!
I have no idea what to do!

How did you find out he had reflux?
What where his symptoms?
It is a battle to get Jency to eat and he always wakes up with gas or something and some times he will wake up screaming and I never can figure out what is wrong.
The Ped said that he had colic but I do not belive this.
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08