Author Topic: Screaming at seven  (Read 991 times)

Offline TomsDad

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 05, 2005, 10:57:20 am »
Hello,

First post on here. We have a month old boy, and he and his mother are generally doing great. Everything goes fairly smoothly in the daytiome, and he's into a routine. The same with nighttime - he wakes at about 11pm and 3am, then at 7am. All good.

The problem comes at 6-7pm almost every night. He has a moring nap, a longer lunchtime nap, and a short afternoon nap. Then he wakes at about 5pm ish, get fed, plays, bathed or topped and tailed, a little more feed - the usual sort of thing. All goes well and he begins to get tired, yawning etc. So we start to wind down, darkened room, soft music. At which point his gentle cooing suddenly turns into full on screaming, which lasts for anything from half an hour to two hours until we can calm him. We've tried winding him, taking him back into a lighter room, shushing, rocking, a dummy (not all at the same time!). Nothing works. It stops almost as suddeny as it starts, and then he slowly calms down and goes to sleep.

Any ideas? It's like really bad wind, but it only happens at this time of the day.

Please help. My wife will be eternally grateful.

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Screaming at seven
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 11:04:17 am »
Hi there

Welcome to the board! It's always nice to see some Dad's on here.  :D

As soon as I read your post the first thing that immediately came to mind was Colic - it seems to fit the textbook symptoms.

I'm no colic expert though as we never had to deal with it with our DD (thankfully). I'd suggest you also put a post in the Colic, Reflux and Crying forum describing the problem, I'm sure the ladies there will be able to give you plenty of advice.

HTH

love
Marie