Author Topic: food jornal  (Read 1949 times)

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
food jornal
« on: October 05, 2005, 14:38:31 pm »
i know jency is allergic to something i'm eating.
i have been trying to keep a jornal but i'm not sure how
to figure out which thing i ate caused it.

any help would do.

sometimes he gets really red cheeks and red annal area.
he seems to be really fuss then too.
He never sleeps well because of gas.

should i get him tested for an allergy?
Should i talk to his dr about getting him on a Rx for the gas?

(up 6x last night, 3x to feed the rest due to gas...don't know if the feed times were due to gas as well)
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
food jornal
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 16:55:36 pm »
For the gas, have you tried Mylecon?  The actual drug name is Simethicone.  It works REALLY well for alot of people.
Since you're bf, you can put it directly in his mouth, and that should help gas problems rather quickly! :D
It's not harmful for the baby either, since it doesn't get absorbed by their body, it passes through.

I've not bf, but we do have a long history of allergies in my family.  Keep  your journal for a few days of everything you eat, and then start picking it apart for the "usual" suspects, I.E., dairy, citrus, soy, wheat, etc.
Eliminate one at a time, and see if that helps your lo!

HTH!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
food jornal
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 20:16:56 pm »
If he's intolerant to something you're eating, he would have blood in his poop. Your doctor can check for that very easily, just take in a poopy diaper. If it is positive, you need to do an elimination diet and keep nursing, absolutely don't give formula. If it is negative, you need not worry about allergies.

The most common things that travel through a moms milk that bother babies are proteins. Cows Milk and soy are the most common. If you have a family history of allergies, like wheat or corn, that needs to be considered too.

My babies were both milk intolerant (ds soy too) and I nursed them and stayed on a milk-free diet. They were fussy from day 1 and when I ate right, they were so much more comfortable.

Still wondering if you got to see the lactation consultant regarding your supply issues????? They will have info on allergies too.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
food jornal
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 20:47:05 pm »
He had a really bloody diaper when he was 10 days old and we took him to the hospital.  The ER supposedly sent the poop down for tests and told me to see the Dr in the morning. (it was sunday).  So I called to get in and they wouldn't see me and told me that they didn't think anything was wrong.  He then had a couple diapers with blood and one with alot of green stuff.  He has not had blood (as far as that I can see) since then and only had green like twice since then.  But his little cheecks and annal area get SO red and he gets SO congested and has such BAD gas.
We do usethe Mylicon and it doesn't do ANYTHING! 
I told our Pedi this and he just told me it was colic :evil: .
But the crying doesn't happen every day and it doesn't happen at the same time.  Some times it is in the middle of the night.  It happened again today and this is the first time in almost a month.  So I know it's not colic.  I think peanuts and other nuts do it :? I think.  And corn and honey (when I eat it). But I know there has to be something else because I haven't eaten any of those for over a week now.
We just changed Peds and this one hasn't seen him yet.  I think I will call and see if I can get in earlier.
I haven't seen the LC yet.  Thanks for asking.

Diego's Mama

food jornal
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 21:25:51 pm »
Yup, get off all dairy products and soy too.

Rice milk will become your best friend.  I did an elimination diet for my son for ten months whilst he nursed. It's not that bad, you get used to it.

Eat as straight from the earth as you possibly can.  No processed foods if you can help it.  This is a benefit to mom as it's a delightfully healthy way to eat.  Hope you like to cook.  :)

I agree to stay away from formula.  It just complicates matters with an intolerance and it's so much easier to control your own diet.  I tried supplementing with Emilio and found that even the hyperallergenic forumlas bothered him.  Breastmilk really is your best bet in this situation.  You just need to be highly disciplined.

Gracekellysmom has a list of foods that are safe for Mama when coping with milk protein intolerance.  Check that out ...

Blood in the stools is a dead give away.  Don't know why your docs didn't jump on that?!?!!!! :shock:

Did you have your son via c-section by chance?

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
food jornal
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 22:04:06 pm »
I never have time to cook!
Plus we don't have a lot of money to buy specialty stuff.
And I don't think WIC will take the milk off and put rice milk with out a Dr.'s notes.

No I had him Vaginally with NO meds!  Yae me!!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
food jornal
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 23:53:49 pm »
I though my ds#1 had a food allergy due to green 'explosive poops" & lots of wind/gas. After removing lots of foods, I found actually the problem was my feeding... I was giving him lots of the fore milk & not much of the hindmilk & cream.
After speaking with a Lactation consultant, I started only offering a single side & when he came off putting him back on at least 5 times, then offering the 2nd side for a few minutes & back to the first side. Within a week I had a much happier baby with "normal poops" (single side fed ds#2 for 13 weeks & never had any gas problems... Worth at try  if you are offering both sides at feeds.
oh & you will need to offer feeds a bit closer together until the single side feeding supplies enough milk
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
food jornal
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 01:20:34 am »
Oh, I agree with Kate on that single-side feeding (or at least starting with the same side for two feeds in a row to get more higher fat milk out). The l/c can explain that too ... now I'm wondering if you have one in the hospital that you delivered in that you can see on a no fee or sliding fee basis.

As for WIC, no, they will not substitute, even with doc's note. I tried that too.  :?  :?  :?  We finally dropped the program because it was a waste of food - I'm allergic to carrots and with no milk/cheese, it was pb and cereal and juice.

Do you have access to a new pediatrician office?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
food jornal
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 14:30:55 pm »
Quote from: Diego's Mama
Did you have your son via c-section by chance?

What's the correlation?
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Diego's Mama

food jornal
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 17:07:18 pm »
I haven't done any research to know if this is true or not, but MSNBC ran a story that had a link between MPI and c-sections.  I believe the reasoning was that baby was not exposed to the bacteria present in the vagina when descending the birth canal.  Who knows....... was just curious though as Emilio was c-section and has MSPI.  My first son, vaginal does not.  Neither my husband or I do.  I think they found something like twice as many babies were c-section. 

:)

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
food jornal
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 17:12:20 pm »
Interesting. Avery was c-section and has it as well. thanks for the insight.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
food jornal
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 19:15:43 pm »
Liv was born by C section too. I've seen the same discussion on the MSPI site that Stacy links to and on another forum.

I heard somewhere a suggestion about the IV drugs used for c-sections.

Would be nice to know though.

Sara

Offline Williamsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
food jornal
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 04:14:38 am »
Very interesting about the c-section.  My son has a milk allergy, not intolerance, but no one else in our family does & he was delivered by c-section.  Also had to have several rounds of antibiotics after birth.  I sometimes wonder if this contributed to his allergies??

Sarah