Author Topic: Difficult to get 19 mth old to nap  (Read 1725 times)

Offline mariaslk

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Difficult to get 19 mth old to nap
« on: October 05, 2005, 17:10:00 pm »
I got into the bad habit of taking my 19mo daughter in her buggy for her afternoon nap or we seemed to be out in the car at nap time, now I want to try to get her to sleep in either her cot or my bed. (I'm happy to take a nap too!) She did it the first day within 10 mins this week but wouldn't do it the next 2 days. Today she hasn't had a nap at all.  Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 17:29:38 pm »
It will probably take a full 3 weeks for your little one to completely adapt to taking a nap in her bed/crib.  Keep everything consistent as possible and just concentrate on her relearning how to fall asleep in her bed.

If she's on two naps, I would look at dropping the morning nap, and having her nap after lunch (around 12:00). 

You just have to be consistent, persistent and calm when the going gets tough.  Old habits take time to change.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline mariaslk

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 18:34:24 pm »
Hi,thanks for your reply. The thing is she just wont go to sleep at all, how exactly do you suggest I do it.  She only has one nap a day which is normally at around 2.30pm for 1hr.  Should I put her in her cot and sit there or should I just leave?

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 06:47:42 am »
What happens when you put her in the cot?  Is she happy in there?  Does she just play for the time she's in there?  If so, I would just leave her in there, and go and have a nap yourself!  At least she's having a rest, and you know she's safe.  My dd would go through times of not actually sleeping at nap time.  Now she is in a bed (at 20m) she does still play sometimes, but I find I can go in to her room, and remind her that it's not play time, it's nap time, and put her back in bed, and she eventually does go to sleep.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 18:26:43 pm »
Okay.. I think we stumbled upon the issue here.

You mentioned that her nap is around 2:30, and she is on one nap.  That's a long time to go from her morning wake up until her one nap.  I suggest moving it much earlier, depending on her morning wake up. Most toddlers have a nap after lunch around 12:00.

She may be too tired to fall asleep, and her cortisol level is too high for her to relax.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline sophiesmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 19:02:01 pm »
This actually helps me some I think...because my dd has done this crazy thing for 2 days now of not wanting to nap around 1:00.  She will laugh and play etc... I will remind her it's nap time but still she will talk to herself and move around the crib.  We have just started giving her her paci only at sleepy times so that is new to her.  But I was really losing my patience with this not going to sleep on her own thing when she used to do it with no problem.  But I think I am going to try to put her down earlier and see what happens.  Thanks!